public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Availability of Xconq
@ 2003-07-14 11:24 Andreas Bringedal
From: Andreas Bringedal @ 2003-07-14 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Hello again,

I don't quite understand the argument about not wanting to advertize
unfinished xconq versions.  Isn't Xconq a game that will always be developed
further until at some point were another better game might take over and
make Xconq obsolete?

What I need and that I think many other non-programmers non-proficient
computer people need is an easy download. I'm not sure how much work it is
to place everything a player need to have in one directory but it doesn't
seem like that much work? At least the if you limit it to the most used
computer systems, like one for Unix, one for Windows, one for Linux or some
such.  Only the newest functioning version for each system is needed even if
that is only Xconq 5 for windows like I use.

It should contain a zipped file of every program that need to be installed
on your computer and a short readme file for how to install each needed
program.

At first glance you could think that this would only attract non-computer
proficient people to Xconq but that is not the case.  The more people play
Xconq the more people will hear about it, also proficient programmers.  Even
non-proficient people like me know very skilled programmers. For instance a
friend of mine from my university days created Crossfire, a unix game(I drew
the Behemoth, wohoo!). Although I've lost contact with him now it makes my
point; the more people play xconq the more people will hear about it.

So by making Xconq an easy accessible game should bring in many more people
who are interested in developing the code, and that is something that's very
much wanted right?

And also despite many people not being any use in programming or the
technical stuff needed to make programs work they can still make xconq
modules, you can still easily make different game modules by tinkering with
the game parameters. As I understand from this list the game parameters that
can be changed easily is greatly improved(?) from when I played Xconq 5.

-Andreas

* Re: Availability of Xconq
@ 2003-07-14 12:03 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-07-14 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Bringedal; +Cc: xconq7

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Andreas Bringedal wrote:

> I don't quite understand the argument about not wanting to advertize
> unfinished xconq versions.

I wasn't aware such an argument was being made.
The home page of the Xconq Web site says:
"The latest released version is 7.4.1. Development is proceeding on 7.5.
Xconq is free software licensed under the GPL, and full sources are
available for downloading. Xconq is also a very large and open-ended
project, with lots to do; if you're an artist, game designer, play-tester
or programmer, and want to help Xconq reach its full potential, we'd love
to have you join in!"

And it offers links to both WebCVS so that you can browse the ChangeLog and
see how development is progressing, and to a Downloads page (for 7.4.1).

> seem like that much work? At least the if you limit it to the most used
> computer systems, like one for Unix, one for Windows, one for Linux or some
> such.  Only the newest functioning version for each system is needed even if
> that is only Xconq 5 for windows like I use.

Check out Hans' download page for the Windows binaries:
http://w1.694.telia.com/~u69400018/

Something to bear in mind is that, as far as I know, every contributing
XConq developer, myself included, has a full-time job. This somewhat
restricts what activities we can regularly carry out on behalf of this
"hobby" of ours.

If there is sufficient interest, I will look into putting automated nightly
or weekly builds of Xconq up for FTP or Web access somewhere.

As far as installation goes, pre-built Xconq packages could benefit from an
installer program. In the case of Linux, there is an RPM spec file (which
may need to be updated) from which an RPM should be able to be constructed.
In the case of Windows, maybe someone needs to find a free
installer/packager program with acceptable licensing?

Eric

* Re: Availability of Xconq
@ 2003-07-14 14:13   ` Andreas Bringedal
From: Andreas Bringedal @ 2003-07-14 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> > I don't quite understand the argument about not wanting to advertize
> > unfinished xconq versions.
>
> I wasn't aware such an argument was being made.
> The home page of the Xconq Web site says:
> "The latest released version is 7.4.1. Development is proceeding on 7.5.
> Xconq is free software licensed under the GPL, and full sources are
> available for downloading. Xconq is also a very large and open-ended
> project, with lots to do; if you're an artist, game designer, play-tester
> or programmer, and want to help Xconq reach its full potential, we'd love
> to have you join in!"

Maybe I just misunderstood and argued for a point that is shared by everyone
already. Anyway this is nice.

> Check out Hans' download page for the Windows binaries:
> http://w1.694.telia.com/~u69400018/

Well, you still need another program to be able to use the files that are
downloadable there.  I think it is something called tcl or tcltk, although
not the newest version?  I did install 8.4.3 but that didn't do me any good.
So I still need to know what programs are necessary to run Xconq on windows
and were or how to install it, so that it work properly.

So this is what I'm asking for to be placed along with the Xconq binary
file; all necessary files and programs(that's not standard for a pc user)
and a readme of the necessary placements/installation of files/programs. For
instance tcl(ck) and IMFapp.

> In the case of Windows, maybe someone needs to find a free
> installer/packager program with acceptable licensing?
>
> Eric

That would be even easier for the users but perhaps quite a lot more work.

-Andreas

* Re: Availability of Xconq
@ 2003-07-14 15:33     ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-07-14 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Bringedal; +Cc: xconq7

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Andreas Bringedal wrote:

> Well, you still need another program to be able to use the files that are
> downloadable there.  I think it is something called tcl or tcltk, although
> not the newest version?  I did install 8.4.3 but that didn't do me any good.
> So I still need to know what programs are necessary to run Xconq on windows
> and were or how to install it, so that it work properly.
>
> So this is what I'm asking for to be placed along with the Xconq binary
> file; all necessary files and programs(that's not standard for a pc user)
> and a readme of the necessary placements/installation of files/programs. For
> instance tcl(ck) and IMFapp.

See http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xconq7/2003/msg00272.html
for more information about your Tcl/Tk issue.

> > In the case of Windows, maybe someone needs to find a free
> > installer/packager program with acceptable licensing?
>
> That would be even easier for the users but perhaps quite a lot more work.

Initially it would be some work to set up, but after that we would have a
template or something (like the RPM spec file) and things should be close
to trivial.

Eric

* Re: Availability of Xconq
@ 2003-07-14 23:00   ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-07-14 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

>Something to bear in mind is that, as far as I know, every contributing
>XConq developer, myself included, has a full-time job. This somewhat
>restricts what activities we can regularly carry out on behalf of this
>"hobby" of ours.

True indeed. I intended to put complete packages for all platforms with a
pre-release xconq on the ftp site earlier this month, but two things
happened. First Eric found several segfaults that needed to be fixed. A
pre-release program should not crash on you, even if it may still have
bugs. Second, I was at a meeting, and work has accumulated in my absence.
So the answer is: yes there will be complete packages availabe soon, but it
will take a little longer than I first hoped. Still working on updating the
game modules and various READMEs.

>As far as installation goes, pre-built Xconq packages could benefit from an
>installer program. In the case of Linux, there is an RPM spec file (which
>may need to be updated) from which an RPM should be able to be constructed.
>In the case of Windows, maybe someone needs to find a free
>installer/packager program with acceptable licensing?

RPMs for less experienced Linux users who don't want to build xconq
themselves would be great. As for the Mac and Windows versions, I doubt
that we need installers. It's just a matter of unzipping (or unstuffing)
the xconq directory and launching the app, which even computer novices
should be able to do. The real problem (at least on Windows) is to install
tcltk, but the installer from ActiveState should take care of that.

Hans

* Re: Availability of Xconq
@ 2003-07-14 23:10     ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-07-14 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: xconq7

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> RPMs for less experienced Linux users who don't want to build xconq
> themselves would be great.

I am willing to work on this next month, unless someone who has previous
experience with RPM spec files is willing to take care of this before then.

>As for the Mac and Windows versions, I doubt
> that we need installers. It's just a matter of unzipping (or unstuffing)
> the xconq directory and launching the app, which even computer novices
> should be able to do. The real problem (at least on Windows) is to install
> tcltk, but the installer from ActiveState should take care of that.

I haven't read ActiveState's license agreement, but if they permit
redistribution of their DLL's, couldn't we just make a little "install.bat"
file that would run regsvr32 to register their DLL's, which we would bundle
with Xconq? That way we would get rid of going to a third party to install
something before someone tries to use Xconq....

  Regards,
    Eric

* Re: Availability of Xconq
@ 2003-07-16 18:32       ` Andreas Bringedal
From: Andreas Bringedal @ 2003-07-16 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> > So this is what I'm asking for to be placed along with the Xconq binary
> > file; all necessary files and programs(that's not standard for a pc
user)
> > and a readme of the necessary placements/installation of files/programs.
For
> > instance tcl(ck) and IMFapp.
>
> See http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xconq7/2003/msg00272.html
> for more information about your Tcl/Tk issue.

What about placing the link to tcl 8.3
http://downloads.activestate.com/ActiveTcl/Windows/8.3.5/

right next to the download for Xconq and a note saying whether it should be
installed in the windows partition of your harddrive or under the Xconq
directory/partition.

I've already started the download now so maybe I'll get it right this time.
Also Hans Ronnes plans for complete packages is very exciting news.  It's
very appreciated!

Andreas