public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* cvs compilation problems
@ 2003-09-19 14:21 Peter Garrone
From: Peter Garrone @ 2003-09-19 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Hi,
 I am trying to do a CVS checkout and build.

I am runing a debian stable distribution.
Two initial problems (that I dont require help on) were

- tclConfig.h in debian was installed in /usr/lib/tcl8.3/tclConfig.h,
   and the configure script was only looking in /usr/lib. The
   standard option --with-tclconfig addressed this.

- The header files tk.h, tcl.h, are installed in /usr/include/tcl8.3/*.h
  and I could see no easy option to get the compiler to look there, from
  configure, so I had to symbolically link from /usr/local/include

The final problem I The only target that the makefile
will attempt to create is "all-tcltk", and the "tcltk" directory
is the only directory that it enters and compiles.
From inspection of the Makefile,
I could see no easy way to address this, or figure out what was wrong.

* Re: cvs compilation problems
@ 2003-09-19 17:02 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-09-19 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Garrone; +Cc: xconq7

Hello Peter,

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Peter Garrone wrote:

> - tclConfig.h in debian was installed in /usr/lib/tcl8.3/tclConfig.h,
>    and the configure script was only looking in /usr/lib. The
>    standard option --with-tclconfig addressed this.

Right. This is why that option is available.

> - The header files tk.h, tcl.h, are installed in /usr/include/tcl8.3/*.h
>   and I could see no easy option to get the compiler to look there, from
>   configure, so I had to symbolically link from /usr/local/include

I looked in my tclConfig.sh, and did not see any easy way to pick
up the headers directory (i.e., the Tcl config does supply -I
flags). I suppose Xconq's aclocal.m4 can be made more intelligent
to check for this apparently Debian-specific layout. It is more
typical that tcl.h and tk.h reside in /usr/include....

> The final problem I The only target that the makefile
> will attempt to create is "all-tcltk", and the "tcltk" directory
> is the only directory that it enters and compiles.
> >From inspection of the Makefile,
> I could see no easy way to address this, or figure out what was wrong.

This is correct behavior, if you are simply doing make. The
default target is (and has been for some time) the tcltk
interface. (Incidentally, the tcltk interface also builds things
in the kernel and x11 directories as well.)

If you want other interfaces, you can do things like "make
all-xtconq", "make all-sdlconq", and "make all-cconq". Of the
interfaces, the Tcl/Tk interface is probably the one you want to
use though.

If you want Xconq to build another interface by default, you can
use the --enable-ui=UI configure flag that I added recently. See
"./configure --help" for details.

  Enjoy Xconq,
    Eric

* Re: cvs compilation problems
       [not found] <20030920001721.GA1773@leonardo>
@ 2003-09-22  5:25 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-09-22  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Garrone; +Cc: xconq7

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Peter Garrone wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 11:54:53AM -0400, Eric McDonald wrote:
> > In the meantime, if you have some spare time, could you tell me
> > what the UI_TARGET variable is being set to in the top-level
> > Makefile?

> UI_TARGET = tcltk

OK, I have fixed this problem. UI_TARGET should have been tkconq,
not tcltk. Peter, I apologize to you and anyone else this error
has affected over the 2-day period that it was in CVS.

Before committing it, I tested every case of the --enable-ui
flag, but I must have forgotten to clean up between the
--enable-ui=tkconq build and the no --enable-ui option
build, and so I had the illusion that everything was working.

Thanks for pointing out that something was wrong.

Eric