public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Canonical Windows build environment?
@ 2003-11-03  1:38 Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-03  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Hi!  What is the canonical Windows build environment on W2K?

I've tried using Cygwin from www.cygwin.com , without success.
Configure works fine.  The 7.4.1 sources fail with errors in win32.c.  I
assume nobody's interested in figuring out why that might be.  :-)  The
CVS sources fail anywhere <Tk.h> get used, it seems it's seeking
<X11/Xlib.h>.  Don't know if that's XConq or Cygwin's TK messing that
up.  As far as I know there's no X11 installation available for Cygwin.

Do I need some screwy mingw flags or something?  My config.guess is
i686-pc-cygwin.  I've also been trying to build Freeciv and found MinGW
from www.mingw.org to be an utter horror to work with.  I gave up and
went with Cygwin.  I am a typical Windoze developer, I can't seem to
wrap my head around the rules and regulations for what kind of .DLLs are
supposed to go where.  That said, I've done the Linux drill back in the
day, I'm far from clueless.  But man, so many loose ends the past 5
days.  In fact, to some degree I think my Linux knowledge has hurt as
much has it has helped, I expected MinGW to be rational and it wasn't!

There is no INSTALL-win file in CVS, nor in 7.4.1 for that matter.
Would be nice if there was one.  Think of all the people who will read
the README, look for the mentioned INSTALL-win, and burst into tears
when it isn't there.  :P-(

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.

* Re: Canonical Windows build environment?
@ 2003-11-03  2:00 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-03  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: xconq7

Hello Brandon,

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Configure works fine.

Good.

>The 7.4.1 sources fail with errors in win32.c.  I

You would be better off using the CVS sources.
Or if you want an .exe just to play with, you can grab stuff off
my Xconq Web site: http://eric_mcdonald.home.comcast.net/xconq

> assume nobody's interested in figuring out why that might be.  :-)  The

If you have trouble building the Windows Tcl/Tk executable with
the latest CVS sources, I am actually quite interested to hear....

> CVS sources fail anywhere <Tk.h> get used, it seems it's seeking
> <X11/Xlib.h>.  Don't know if that's XConq or Cygwin's TK messing that
> up.  As far as I know there's no X11 installation available for Cygwin.

Are you using the --x-includes flag to tell configure where the
_correct_ X11 headers can be found?

> from www.mingw.org to be an utter horror to work with.  I gave up and

It's not so bad. We use the MinGW32 mode/subset of Cygwin to build
the Windows SDL executable....

> There is no INSTALL-win file in CVS,

Yes there is.

> Would be nice if there was one.  Think of all the people who will read
> the README, look for the mentioned INSTALL-win, and burst into tears
> when it isn't there.  :P-(

But it is there. Please make sure you have checked out a recent
CVS version.

  Regards,
   Eric

* Re: Canonical Windows build environment?
@ 2003-11-03  2:43 ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-11-03  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: xconq7

>Hi!  What is the canonical Windows build environment on W2K?
>
>I've tried using Cygwin from www.cygwin.com , without success.
>Configure works fine.  The 7.4.1 sources fail with errors in win32.c.  I
>assume nobody's interested in figuring out why that might be.  :-)  The
>CVS sources fail anywhere <Tk.h> get used, it seems it's seeking
><X11/Xlib.h>.  Don't know if that's XConq or Cygwin's TK messing that
>up.  As far as I know there's no X11 installation available for Cygwin.

7.4.1 is three years old and obsolete. To build the Windows app from those
sources you need the equally obsolete cygwin-b20 and also a special hacked
tcltk version for cygwin-b20 (you will get the latter if you check out the
xconq-all module).

That being said, the CVS sources is what you really want to use. The Tk.h
problem is known, it was discussed by Juergen Ruehle and Eric McDonald two
months ago on this list. Eric is doing a major overhaul of the config and
Makefiles. He should be in a better position to answer your specific
questions about mingw support.

An alternative to cygwin/mingw is to use a Windows native build
environment. It is now possible to build xconq for Windows using either
Visual C or CodeWarrior.

Hans

* anonymous CVS missing Windows stuff?
@ 2003-11-03  3:02   ` Brandon J. Van Every
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-03  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Eric McDonald wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>
> > There is no INSTALL-win file in CVS,
>
> Yes there is.
>
> > Would be nice if there was one.  Think of all the people
> who will read
> > the README, look for the mentioned INSTALL-win, and burst into tears
> > when it isn't there.  :P-(
>
> But it is there. Please make sure you have checked out a recent
> CVS version.

I'm using anonymous CVS as per http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/cvs.html
.  When I check out module "xconq," I don't get any Windows stuff at
all.  Ditto checking out "xconq-win."  No INSTALL-win, no xconq/win
directory.  What gives?

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.

* RE: anonymous CVS missing Windows stuff?
@ 2003-11-03  3:09     ` Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-03  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> I'm using anonymous CVS as per
> http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/cvs.html .
> When I check out module "xconq," I don't get any Windows stuff at
> all.  Ditto checking out "xconq-win."  No INSTALL-win, no xconq/win
> directory.  What gives?

My exact login and checkout lines are:

CVSROOT: anonymous@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/xconq (password
authentication)
TCL is available, shell is enabled : help (select and press enter)
cvs -z3 login

cvs -z3 checkout -P xconq (in directory C:\devel)

Is the -z3 significant?  I notice the directions say just -z.  I'm using
WinCVS 1.2.

@ 2003-11-03  3:15     ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-11-03  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: xconq7

>> But it is there. Please make sure you have checked out a recent
>> CVS version.
>
>I'm using anonymous CVS as per http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/cvs.html
>.  When I check out module "xconq," I don't get any Windows stuff at
>all.  Ditto checking out "xconq-win."  No INSTALL-win, no xconq/win
>directory.  What gives?

You and Eric are both right. The INSTALL-win file is there, but since it
has not been added to the modules file, it will not be included in the
checkout. I added some of Eric's recent additions to modules recently,
since the CVS checkouts would not build without them. But INSTALL-win
escaped me.

And this is the only Windows-specific file, since xconq/win has been retired.

Hans

* Re: anonymous CVS missing Windows stuff?
@ 2003-11-03  3:26     ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-03  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: xconq7

Hello again,

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> I'm using anonymous CVS as per http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/cvs.html
> .  When I check out module "xconq," I don't get any Windows stuff at
> all.  Ditto checking out "xconq-win."  No INSTALL-win, no xconq/win
> directory.  What gives?

Hmmm... Something does appear to be screwed up. I suppose you
don't have a directory named 'missing' either?

If you view the repository using webCVS (off the Xconq main page),
you will see that the 'INSTALL-win' file did make it into the
repository. I thought the webCVS view represented the mainline
branch of development, but perhaps it doesn't. If so, then it
would seem that I needed to specify an additional tag or something
when added 'INSTALL-win' and 'missing'. This could get somewhat
ugly....  Thanks for noticing it.

  Eric

* Re: anonymous CVS missing Windows stuff?
@ 2003-11-03  3:36       ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-03  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: Brandon J. Van Every, xconq7

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> You and Eric are both right. The INSTALL-win file is there, but since it
> has not been added to the modules file, it will not be included in the
> checkout. I added some of Eric's recent additions to modules recently,
> since the CVS checkouts would not build without them. But INSTALL-win
> escaped me.

Please disregard my previous message. All the new files and
dirs are available through MAIN and HEAD tags.

Hans, do you want me to fix the 'modules' file in CVSROOT, or are
you already taking care of that?

> And this is the only Windows-specific file, since xconq/win has
>been retired.

Yes. Technically, the xconq-win grouping could probably be removed
from the 'modules' file.

Eric

* MSVC build environment?
@ 2003-11-03  3:52   ` Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-03  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

From: Hans Ronne [mailto:hronne@comhem.se]

> An alternative to cygwin/mingw is to use a Windows native build
> environment. It is now possible to build xconq for Windows
> using either Visual C or CodeWarrior.
>
> [...]
>
> And INSTALL-win is the only Windows-specific file, since xconq/win
> has been retired.

Ok, using the CVS web interface to look at INSTALL-win, I see a section
on "Building Xconq using MS Visual C++" with a lot of ... blank lines.
Also there are no MSVC project files anywhere in the source tree as far
as I can tell, and as far as you seem to say.  So who is really doing
this?  Is building under MSVC a reality, or a claim?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.

* Re: MSVC build environment?
@ 2003-11-03  4:05     ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-03  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: xconq

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> > An alternative to cygwin/mingw is to use a Windows native build
> > environment. It is now possible to build xconq for Windows
> > using either Visual C or CodeWarrior.

> as I can tell, and as far as you seem to say.  So who is really doing
> this?

No one, afaik. I think Hans uses CodeWarrior.

> Is building under MSVC a reality, or a claim?

It is not a claim. It _might_ be a reality. :-)

Eric

* Re: MSVC build environment?
@ 2003-11-03  5:22       ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-11-03  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: xconq7, vanevery

>> > An alternative to cygwin/mingw is to use a Windows native build
>> > environment. It is now possible to build xconq for Windows
>> > using either Visual C or CodeWarrior.
>
>> as I can tell, and as far as you seem to say.  So who is really doing
>> this?
>
>No one, afaik. I think Hans uses CodeWarrior.

Yep.

>> Is building under MSVC a reality, or a claim?
>
>It is not a claim. It _might_ be a reality. :-)

Juergen Ruehle posted instructions for how to build xconq under Visual C (I
think those were supposed to go into the empty part of INSTALL-win). I
tested it several months ago just to see if it worked, and it did.

Hans

* RE: Canonical Windows build environment?
@ 2003-11-03 11:20   ` Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-03 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

Hans Ronne wrote:

> The Tk.h
> problem is known, it was discussed by Juergen Ruehle and Eric
> McDonald two
> months ago on this list. Eric is doing a major overhaul of
> the config and
> Makefiles. He should be in a better position to answer your specific
> questions about mingw support.

Ok, as per INSTALL-win instructions, I've tried the following with
Cygwin:

./configure --x-includes=/usr/src/tcltk-20030901-1/tk/xlib/X11 --with-tc
lconfig=/lib --with-tkconfig=/lib

I am quite sure that all said paths are typed correctly and that the
appropriate files are present.  This does not solve the Tk.h problem, I
get the same choking, looking for Xlib.h.  Is that expected?  If
expected, is there a workaround?  If there is no workaround, any time
estimate of when the major overhaul of the config and Makefiles will be
completed?

@ 2003-11-03 15:02     ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-03 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: xconq

Hello Brandon,

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Ok, as per INSTALL-win instructions, I've tried the following with
> Cygwin:
>
> ./configure --x-includes=/usr/src/tcltk-20030901-1/tk/xlib/X11 --with-tc
> lconfig=/lib --with-tkconfig=/lib

Could you send the error output to the list? I would like to look
at it, and if Juergen is around, he might also have something to
say....  The problem with the INSTALL-win document is that it is
an amalgam of his original doc (which dated back roughly 3 years
ago and refered to much older packages) and updated information I
put in. I took the liberty of updating some of his package
references to newer ones, but did not necessarily verify that said
packages still behaved in the way the old ones did. I did not hear
Juergen complain, so I let things be, thinking that I had made
reasonable assumptions. Have you tried building with the
ActiveState Tcl/Tk? I have verified that.

It was my intent to verify things Juergen's way someday, and to do
a purely MinGW32 build. I didn't consider them top priorities
though, since I think the vast majority of our Windows users are
interested in prepackaged binaries rather than building Xconq
themselves.

> get the same choking, looking for Xlib.h.  Is that expected?  If

Not particularly.

> estimate of when the major overhaul of the config and Makefiles will be
> completed?

I mentioned several weeks ago that the "major surgery" has been
taken care of. Among other things, this means that the Windows and
Unix builds of Xconq have been unified.  It doesn't have much to
do with the Tcl/Tk build per se.

  Regards,
    Eric

* RE: Canonical Windows build environment?
@ 2003-11-03 15:21     ` Juergen Ruehle
From: Juergen Ruehle @ 2003-11-03 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: xconq

Brandon J. Van Every writes:
 > Ok, as per INSTALL-win instructions, I've tried the following with
 > Cygwin:
 >
 > ./configure --x-includes=/usr/src/tcltk-20030901-1/tk/xlib/X11 --with-tc
 > lconfig=/lib --with-tkconfig=/lib

I think you should drop the X11 directory from the include path
because it is included as '#include <X11/Xlib.h>'.

Hoping that helps,

       jr

* RE: Canonical Windows build environment?
@ 2003-11-03 15:52       ` Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-03 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

From: Juergen Ruehle [mailto:j.ruehle@bmiag.de]
> Brandon J. Van Every writes:
> >
> > ./configure
> > --x-includes=/usr/src/tcltk-20030901-1/tk/xlib/X11
> > --with-tclconfig=/lib --with-tkconfig=/lib
>
> I think you should drop the X11 directory from the include path
> because it is included as '#include <X11/Xlib.h>'.

Actually I had tried that way before, and when chasing down Tk.h, it
looked like it wanted just plain tk/xlib.  Wasn't sure exactly.  Neither
way fixes anything.

I have forgotten how to pump both stdout and stderr to the same file.
How do I do that?  I cobbled "make >out.txt" and "make 2>err.txt"
together to get the following, it's tedious.

make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/devel/xconq/tcltk'
gcc -c -g -O2 -mwin32  -I. -I./.. -I./../kernel -I/nonexistent/include
tkmain.c
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/devel/xconq/tcltk'

In file included from tkconq.h:22,
                 from tkmain.c:11:
/usr/include/tk.h:96:29: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
In file included from tkconq.h:22,
                 from tkmain.c:11:
/usr/include/tk.h:573: error: syntax error before "Window"
/usr/include/tk.h:573: error: `Window' declared as function returning a
function
/usr/include/tk.h:576: error: syntax error before "XEvent"
/usr/include/tk.h:584: error: syntax error before "Tk_ClassCreateProc"
/usr/include/tk.h:592: error: syntax error before '}' token
/usr/include/tk.h:678: error: syntax error before "Bool"
/usr/include/tk.h:683: error: syntax error before "time"
/usr/include/tk.h:683: error: `time' redeclared as different kind of
symbol
/usr/include/time.h:49: error: previous declaration of `time'
/usr/include/tk.h:688: error: syntax error before "same_screen"
/usr/include/tk.h:694: error: syntax error before "Bool"
/usr/include/tk.h:697: error: syntax error before '}' token
/usr/include/tk.h:698: error: syntax error before "XActivateEvent"
/usr/include/tk.h:699: error: syntax error before "XDeactivateEvent"
/usr/include/tk.h:771: error: syntax error before "Display"
/usr/include/tk.h:774: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tk.h:785: error: syntax error before "changes"
/usr/include/tk.h:787: error: syntax error before "atts"
/usr/include/tk.h:811: error: syntax error before '}' token
/usr/include/tk.h:923: error: syntax error before "XPoint"
/usr/include/tk.h:1023: error: syntax error before "Display"
/usr/include/tk.h:1026: error: syntax error before "Display"
/usr/include/tk.h:1121: error: syntax error before "XColor"
/usr/include/tk.h:1151: error: syntax error before '}' token
/usr/include/tk.h:1185: error: syntax error before "GC"
/usr/include/tk.h:1197: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tk.h:1198: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tk.h:1199: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tk.h:1200: error: syntax error before "stipple"
/usr/include/tk.h:1201: error: syntax error before "activeStipple"
/usr/include/tk.h:1202: error: syntax error before "disabledStipple"
/usr/include/tk.h:1228: error: syntax error before "Display"
/usr/include/tk.h:1230: error: syntax error before "Display"
/usr/include/tk.h:1436: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tk.h:1552: error: syntax error before "XErrorEvent"
/usr/include/tk.h:1554: error: syntax error before "XEvent"
/usr/include/tk.h:1556: error: syntax error before "XEvent"
/usr/include/tk.h:1558: error: syntax error before "XEvent"
/usr/include/tk.h:1563: error: syntax error before "XEvent"
In file included from /usr/include/tk.h:1576,
                 from tkconq.h:22,
                 from tkmain.c:11:
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:37: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:39: error: syntax error before "Tk_3DBorderGC"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:45: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:50: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:59: error: syntax error before "XEvent"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:73: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:78: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:81: error: syntax error before "XColor"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:91: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:96: error: syntax error before "GC"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:116: error: syntax error before
"XSetWindowAttributes"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:123: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:127: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:149: error: syntax error before "XWindowChanges"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:170: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:190: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:233: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:245: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:250: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:255: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:258: error: syntax error before "GC"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:263: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:268: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:273: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:278: error: syntax error before "Tk_FontId"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:283: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:285: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:288: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:291: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:295: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:301: error: syntax error before "Display"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:304: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:309: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:311: error: syntax error before "Tk_GCForColor"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:312: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:328: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:334: error: syntax error before "Tk_GetBitmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:337: error: syntax error before
"Tk_GetBitmapFromData"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:344: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:347: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:348: error: syntax error before "XColor"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:350: error: syntax error before "Tk_GetColormap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:371: error: syntax error before "Tk_GetGC"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:373: error: syntax error before "XGCValues"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:401: error: syntax error before "Tk_GetPixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:402: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:420: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:424: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:426: error: syntax error before "Colormap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:435: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:438: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:446: error: syntax error before "Tk_InternAtom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:485: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:489: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:492: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:511: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:550: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:553: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:558: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:592: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:601: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:604: error: syntax error before "Colormap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:608: error: syntax error before "Visual"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:612: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:630: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:635: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:649: error: syntax error before
"Tk_AllocBitmapFromObj"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:657: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:702: error: syntax error before
"Tk_GetBitmapFromObj"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:705: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:770: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:773: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:777: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:780: error: syntax error before "Tk_Outline"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:783: error: syntax error before "Tk_Outline"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:786: error: syntax error before "Tk_Outline"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:789: error: syntax error before "GC"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:796: error: syntax error before "GC"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:804: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:807: error: syntax error before "XColor"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:823: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:845: error: syntax error before "Tk_ClassProcs"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:867: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:918: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:932: error: syntax error before "XColor"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:933: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:933: error: `GC' declared as function returning a
function
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:934: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:935: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:937: error: syntax error before "XEvent"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:941: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:942: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:943: error: syntax error before "XColor"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:946: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:948: error: syntax error before "GC"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:953: error: syntax error before
"XSetWindowAttributes"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:955: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:956: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:961: error: syntax error before "XWindowChanges"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:966: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:972: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:984: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:988: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:989: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:990: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:991: error: syntax error before "GC"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:992: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:993: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:994: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:996: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:996: error: `Font' declared as function returning
a function
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:998: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:999: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1000: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1001: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1003: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1005: error: syntax error before "Display"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1006: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1008: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1009: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1009: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1009: error: `GC' declared as function returning
a function
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1014: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1016: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1016: error: `Pixmap' declared as function
returning a function
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1017: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1017: error: `Pixmap' declared as function
returning a function
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1019: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1020: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1020: error: syntax error before "XColor"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1021: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1021: error: `Colormap' declared as function
returning a function
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1027: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1027: error: syntax error before "XGCValues"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1027: error: `GC' declared as function returning
a function
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1036: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1036: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1036: error: `Pixmap' declared as function
returning a function
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1041: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1043: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1043: error: syntax error before "Colormap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1046: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1047: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1050: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1050: error: `Atom' declared as function
returning a function
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1063: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1065: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1066: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1073: error: syntax error before "Atom"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1084: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1085: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1086: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1097: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1100: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1101: error: syntax error before "Colormap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1102: error: syntax error before "Visual"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1103: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1109: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1110: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1116: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1116: error: `Pixmap' declared as function
returning a function
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1118: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1132: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1132: error: `Pixmap' declared as function
returning a function
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1133: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1152: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1153: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1154: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1155: error: syntax error before "Tk_Outline"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1156: error: syntax error before "Tk_Outline"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1157: error: syntax error before "Tk_Outline"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1158: error: syntax error before "GC"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1160: error: syntax error before "GC"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1162: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1163: error: syntax error before "XColor"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1167: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1173: error: syntax error before "Tk_ClassProcs"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1179: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1195: error: syntax error before "Drawable"
/usr/include/tkDecls.h:1201: error: syntax error before '*' token
In file included from tkconq.h:33,
                 from tkmain.c:11:
tkimf.h:19: error: syntax error before "Pixmap"
tkimf.h:19: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
tkimf.h:20: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkimf.h:21: error: syntax error before "mask"
tkimf.h:21: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkimf.h:22: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkimf.h:22: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkimf.h:23: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkimf.h:23: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkimf.h:24: error: syntax error before '}' token
tkimf.h:24: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkimf.h:41: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkimf.h:41: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkimf.h:42: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkimf.h:42: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
In file included from tkmain.c:11:
tkconq.h:112: error: syntax error before "Display"
tkconq.h:112: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
tkconq.h:123: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:123: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:124: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:124: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:125: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:125: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:126: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:126: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:127: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:127: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:128: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:128: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:129: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:129: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:130: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:130: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:131: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:131: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:132: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:132: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:133: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:133: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:134: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:134: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:135: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:135: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:136: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:136: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:137: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:137: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:138: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:138: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:139: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:139: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:140: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:140: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:141: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:141: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:142: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:142: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:143: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:143: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:144: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:144: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:145: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:145: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:146: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:146: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:147: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:147: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:148: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:148: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:150: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:150: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:151: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:151: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:199: error: syntax error before '*' token
tkconq.h:199: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:200: error: syntax error before "hexpics"
tkconq.h:200: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:201: error: syntax error before "hexisopics"
tkconq.h:201: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:203: error: syntax error before "emblempics"
tkconq.h:203: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:204: error: syntax error before "emblemmasks"
tkconq.h:204: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:214: error: syntax error before "grays"
tkconq.h:214: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:215: error: syntax error before "dots"
tkconq.h:215: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkconq.h:221: error: syntax error before '}' token
tkconq.h:221: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tkmain.c: In function `tk_curmap_number':
tkmain.c:634: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:635: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_side_emblem':
tkmain.c:783: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:784: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_run_game_idle':
tkmain.c:1346: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_animate_selection':
tkmain.c:1409: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_set_unit_type':
tkmain.c:1431: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_mouse_down_cmd':
tkmain.c:1447: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_mouse_up_cmd':
tkmain.c:1465: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_mouse_over_cmd':
tkmain.c:1484: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_world_mouse_down_cmd':
tkmain.c:1549: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_world_mouse_up_cmd':
tkmain.c:1568: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_world_mouse_over_cmd':
tkmain.c:1587: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `draw_unit_info':
tkmain.c:1749: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:1750: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `update_area_display':
tkmain.c:1884: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `update_cell_display':
tkmain.c:1902: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `update_unit_display':
tkmain.c:2070: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `update_action_result_display':
tkmain.c:2101: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `update_turn_display':
tkmain.c:2120: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2132: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2133: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2138: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2143: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `update_action_display':
tkmain.c:2165: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `update_fire_at_display':
tkmain.c:2188: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `update_fire_into_display':
tkmain.c:2203: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `action_point':
tkmain.c:2240: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `schedule_movie':
tkmain.c:2275: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2277: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2277: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2278: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2278: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2297: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2297: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2300: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2300: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2302: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `play_movies':
tkmain.c:2316: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2319: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2329: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2334: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2338: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2343: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2344: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2345: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2351: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2359: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `init_redraws':
tkmain.c:2395: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:2412: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_interp_key':
tkmain.c:2980: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3033: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3034: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_execute_long_command':
tkmain.c:3059: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3065: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3072: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_set_design_tool':
tkmain.c:3106: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3108: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3110: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3113: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3116: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3119: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3123: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3125: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3127: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3129: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3131: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3133: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3135: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3137: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3139: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3141: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3146: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3147: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_set_design_data':
tkmain.c:3192: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3192: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3192: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3192: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3193: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3195: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3196: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3198: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3201: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3204: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3207: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3211: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3214: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3214: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3214: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3214: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3215: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3217: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3220: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3220: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3220: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3220: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3221: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3223: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3226: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3226: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3226: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3226: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3227: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3229: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3232: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3232: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3232: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3232: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3233: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3235: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3238: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3238: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3238: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3238: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3239: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3241: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3243: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3244: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3246: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3248: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3250: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3252: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3254: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3256: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3258: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3261: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3261: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3261: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3261: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3262: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3264: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3266: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_create_new_feature':
tkmain.c:3285: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_destroy_feature':
tkmain.c:3303: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `tk_center_on_unit':
tkmain.c:3458: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3464: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `place_legends':
tkmain.c:3615: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3616: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3617: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c: In function `create_map':
tkmain.c:3781: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3782: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tkmain.c:3784: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[1]: *** [tkmain.o] Error 1
make: *** [all-tcltk] Error 2

* Re:MSVC build environment?
@ 2003-11-03 16:40     ` Juergen Ruehle
From: Juergen Ruehle @ 2003-11-03 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: xconq

Brandon J. Van Every writes:
 > Ok, using the CVS web interface to look at INSTALL-win, I see a section
 > on "Building Xconq using MS Visual C++" with a lot of ... blank lines.
 > Also there are no MSVC project files anywhere in the source tree as far
 > as I can tell, and as far as you seem to say.  So who is really doing
 > this?  Is building under MSVC a reality, or a claim?

I have actually built xconq with VC6 introductory edition, but I
didn't reinstall it after the last OS reinstall (and before I did
finish the description). It is actually quite simple:

 - create a new project

 - add all relevant .c and .h files to the project, that is all from
   kernel and tcltk except the files for other platforms and the image
   test app mains

 - add include paths until it preprocesses (I think it needs bitmaps,
   kernel, and the headers from the Tcl/Tk distribution)

 - fix all compile errors (should mostly be fixed, but the occasional
   missing define/struct/function might have crept back in, because
   the VC libc is slightly different from *nix and Code Warrior)

 - add libraries until it links (it needs most of the standard stuff
   and - of course - Tcl/Tk libraries)

 - fiddle with the Tcl and Tk library path until it runs

 - write up a nice description for the INSTALL-win document:-)

I don't know how dificult it is with VS.net.

Regards,

	jr

* RE: Canonical Windows build environment?
@ 2003-11-03 16:57         ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: xconq

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> I have forgotten how to pump both stdout and stderr to the same file.
> How do I do that?  I cobbled "make >out.txt" and "make 2>err.txt"
> together to get the following, it's tedious.

It depends on which shell you are using. Since you are doing
things from Cygwin, I am assuming you are using bash, which is the
default shell in that environment. In this case, you should do:
  >out.txt 2>&1
which tells the shell to redirect stdout to a file, and then do an
appending redirect of stderr to the redirected stdout. If you do
things in the reverse order, you will not obtain the desired
results. For an understanding of why this is, read dup(2),
dup2(2), and bash(1).

> make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/devel/xconq/tcltk'
> gcc -c -g -O2 -mwin32  -I. -I./.. -I./../kernel -I/nonexistent/include
> tkmain.c

I am curious where "-I/nonexistent/include" is coming from. This
seems like an odd place. Did you install the Tcl/Tk headers to
there?

Eric

* RE: Canonical Windows build environment?
@ 2003-11-03 22:18           ` Brandon J. Van Every
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2003-11-03 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq

Eric McDonald wrote:

> I am curious where "-I/nonexistent/include" is coming from. This
> seems like an odd place. Did you install the Tcl/Tk headers to
> there?

No, I didn't.  I have no idea where it comes from.  I'd hazard a guess
that ./configure generates it.

@ 2003-11-03 22:48             ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-11-03 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: xconq

Brandon,

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> No, I didn't.  I have no idea where it comes from.  I'd hazard a guess
> that ./configure generates it.

I wouldn't disagree, but I am curious which @macro@ in the
Makefile.in files is expanding to this value. Could you please
send me (via private mail, preferably as attachments) your
Makefile and tcltk/Makefile?

  Thanks,
    Eric