public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: Jim Kingdon <kingdon@panix.com>
Cc: xconq7@sources.redhat.com
Subject: [OFFTOPIC?] Doc Chow (was Re: Windows Installer for Xconq)
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:42:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Jim Kingdon wrote:

> I guess that makes sense.  Imfapp is half a mebibyte on my linux
> system, and full sources seem to be about 5 mebibytes or so.  Having

I think I can get used to saying "mebibyte", but "kibibytes"
really sounds like a brand of dog chow. Thankfully, a half a
kibibyte (aka, binary kilobyte) is not known as a "kibble", in the
way that half a byte is known as a "nibble". Otherwise, we would
have all these Kibbles and Bits floating around.

> the xconq sources are kind of useful in understanding how the game
> works until/unless we get more documentation volunteers than we have
> now.

Yes. Absolutely agreed.

If my motivation capacitor ever becomes sufficiently recharged
(wrt documentation), I intend to mention the formulae used by
each of the combat models for determining hits and misses and
damage. Another good thing that could be done, imo, is using
@ifhtml in the .texi sources, so that newer texi2html translators
can include raw HTML (useful for including screenshots in the
HTML versions of the docs).

I still need to write up some things regarding compound terrain
effects, but have been holding back because I think I should
refine that code further to deal with my previously mentioned
ideas about border and connector aux terains.

> I'd call the options something like "Normal" (everything you need to
> play xconq), "Designer" (includes files recommended for game
> designers), and "Source" (includes xconq source code, for those
> desiring maximum insight into xconq's functioning).

I'll consider what you suggest.

  It's a dog's world,
    Eric