public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: Hans Ronne <hronne@comhem.se>
Cc: xconq7@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Xconq output files
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> >I vote to leave saved games with ".xcq". Furthermore, I would
> >like to change the checkpoint savefiles to ".xcq" as well, since
> >they really are saved Xconq games.
>
> Yes. It makes sense for all game files to end in .xcq, so that they are
> opened by Xconq. I even contemplated if all the .g files should be renamed
> .xcq, but that would go to far (and also break the CVS record for all the

I thought about this as well, which is why I made sure to mention
the word "save".

I could also associate ".g" with xconq.exe. But here I am a
little bit more concerned with clobbering an existing extension.
I think I can incorporate logic into the installer script to
check for this though.

> >"XconqWarnings.log" and "XconqDebugOut.log".
>
> Not sure about this one. A .log file to me is something that accumulates
> output from several sessions. Which these files do not. How about just
> XconqWarnings?

Sure, or how about "XconqWarnings.xcd" as you suggest below, but
only for Windows? Since the default view settings in Windows
Explorer hide file extensions, the ".xcd" files will appear to
have the same names as they do on other platforms, but I will be
able to associate shell extensions (e.g., Open) with them. (And
for people like me, who prefer to see the extensions when dealing
with Windows, they will appear less "clumsy".)

> >"XconqPrefs" or "XconqPrefs.txt".
>
> I like XconqPrefs. The .txt extension looks screwy except on Windows where

I'll do XconqPrefs.xcd on Windows unless you object.

> Alternatively, we could have a second unique extension (.xcd ?) for all
> Xconq-related doc files that should be opened in a text editor. Perhaps
> this is a better idea.
>
> >"XconqScores" or "XconqScores.txt" for the main scores file.
>
> XconqScores is fine. However, since different games make different score
> files, this is a tricky one.

Well, we could alter existing modules where 'scorefile-name' is
set to conform to some naming standard (perhaps the name of the
the game module file minus the ".g" extension; in which case
Bellum would be the only game currently in the library that needs
to change). I would suggest that we remove any extensions from
these, and then let the Xconq Windows code tack on a ".xcd".

So how does this sound?

Eric