public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Multiple copies of messages
@ 2005-01-04 17:53 mskala
From: mskala @ 2005-01-04 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq-general, xconq7

I wonder if there's a way we could either reduce the current cross-posting
of messages, or lessen its impact.  We have four discussion mailing lists
on SourceForge, as well as the one on sources.redhat.com.  Quite often a
given message will be relevant to two of the SourceForge lists, so it gets
crossposted to both of those, but then it'll also be crossposted to the
redhat.com list because lots of people haven't subscribed to the
SourceForge lists yet, and the lists are configured to encourage direct
CC:s of replies to the original poster, so if I've previously participated
in a discussion I'll probably be on the CC: list as well, and so the end
result is that I usually get three or four copies of every message.  I
have to manually skip the extra copies, and it seems quite likely that I
could miss seeing something important because I deleted it thinking it was
a duplicate of something else.

Is the CC:-to-original-poster thing really a good idea?  Do we still need
the sources.redhat.com mailing list?  Would it be possible to move the
subscriber list from sources.redhat.com to sourceforge, to lessen the
impact of closing the older list?  Is there a way to configure
SourceForge's mailing-list software to only send one copy of a given
message to one recipient, across mailing lists?
--
Matthew Skala
mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                    Embrace and defend.