public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Recent Mac OS X Build?
@ 2005-04-08 12:18 Bob Beaty
From: Bob Beaty @ 2005-04-08 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Not trying to be a pest, here... but are those folks who built Xconq
for Mac OS X no longer doing so? I play it exclusively on my OS X
machine and would love to stay up on the latest improvements in the
game.

	Thanks,
		Bob (drbob@TheManFromSPUD.com)
	The Man from S.P.U.D.
	We will write no code before it's designed.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 970 bytes --]

Not trying to be a pest, here... but are those folks who built Xconq
for Mac OS X no longer doing so? I play it exclusively on my OS X
machine and would love to stay up on the latest improvements in the
game.

<x-tad-bigger>

	The Man from S.P.U.D.</smaller></fontfamily><x-tad-bigger>

* Re: Recent Mac OS X Build?
@ 2005-04-08 12:39 ` Philip J. Hollenback
From: Philip J. Hollenback @ 2005-04-08 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

This message made me realize that I hadn't seen any xconq mailing list
mails in months... Then I realized that was becuase everything had moved
to sourceforge and somehow I wasn't subscribed to the lists there.

So heads up to anyone else who might still be on this old list: go check
out xconq.sourceforge.net.

Or am I the only person who managed to not make the transition?  Weird.

P.,

--
Philip J. Hollenback
philiph@pobox.com

* Re: Recent Mac OS X Build?
@ 2005-04-08 12:45 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2005-04-08 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Beaty; +Cc: xconq7

Bob Beaty wrote:
> Not trying to be a pest, here... but are those folks who built Xconq for
> Mac OS X no longer doing so? I play it exclusively on my OS X machine
> and would love to stay up on the latest improvements in the game.

I would love it if someone would build for MacOS too. However, I do not
presently have a working, modern Mac and thus cannot attempt it. I may
use the Sourceforge compile farm at some point, but that is down the
road. I have other priorities right now....

As far as other Mac people go: Stan Shebs seems too busy to do much with
Xconq nowadays; Hans Ronne is no longer active with the project; Robert
Goulding started to work on building a recent version on OS X, but I
never heard back from him; I received private email from another guy who
offered to look into it, but I never heard back from him either....

That is the state of things.

Eric

* Xconq Mailing Lists - Please Read
@ 2005-04-08 12:59   ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2005-04-08 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip J. Hollenback; +Cc: xconq7

Philip J. Hollenback wrote:
> So heads up to anyone else who might still be on this old list: go check
> out xconq.sourceforge.net.
>
> Or am I the only person who managed to not make the transition?  Weird.

The Sourceforge mailing lists have been mentioned on this list before,
but, no, I don't think you're the only one who has not made the transition.

A couple months ago, Stan looked over the Sourceforge site, and thought
we were ready to make the official transition to Sourceforge. I am just
waiting for him to pull the plug on Xconq's presence on Redhat's
Sourceware server....

So, to reiterate old information:

***** If you read nothing else in this message, PLEASE READ THIS *****
You can SIGN UP for any of the NEW Xconq mailing lists at:
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=124062

There are other lists as well. The 'xconq-players' list is not very
active at this point. It will probably become more active once Xconq's
networking/teamplay has been stabilized.

Eric

* Re: Recent Mac OS X Build?
@ 2005-04-08 13:33   ` Bruno Boettcher
From: Bruno Boettcher @ 2005-04-08 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:39:46AM -0400, Philip J. Hollenback wrote:
> This message made me realize that I hadn't seen any xconq mailing list
> mails in months... Then I realized that was becuase everything had moved
> to sourceforge and somehow I wasn't subscribed to the lists there.
indeed!!

> So heads up to anyone else who might still be on this old list: go check
> out xconq.sourceforge.net.
>
> Or am I the only person who managed to not make the transition?  Weird.
nope......
:D

--
ciao bboett
bboett@adlp.org
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2005-04-08 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: xconq7

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 06:59 -0600, Eric McDonald wrote:
> > Or am I the only person who managed to not make the transition?  Weird.
>
> The Sourceforge mailing lists have been mentioned on this list before,
> but, no, I don't think you're the only one who has not made the transition.

I noticed that the home page on RedHat's server makes no mention of the
move to the SourceForge site.  In fact, it apparently has not been
updated since May 24 of last year.  That could easily be a source of
confusion for a lot of people, especially as long as Google lists the
RedHat site at the top of the search results when someone does a search
for "Xconq" (Coop's website is listed second, and the SourceForge site
is listed eighth).

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

You are in a maze of little twisting passages, all different.

* Re: Xconq Mailing Lists - Please Read
@ 2005-04-08 18:11       ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2005-04-08 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Peters; +Cc: xconq7

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> I noticed that the home page on RedHat's server makes no mention of the
> move to the SourceForge site.

Yes. I am well aware of that fact.

>In fact, it apparently has not been
> updated since May 24 of last year.

That sounds about right.

If you want to see it updated, then either I need to
have assurances that Hans will not be having any more accidents
(allegedly) that clobber my CVS commits, or you will need to get
someone else to do it. Talk to Stan maybe....

>That could easily be a source of
> confusion for a lot of people, especially as long as Google lists the
> RedHat site at the top of the search results when someone does a search
> for "Xconq" (Coop's website is listed second, and the SourceForge site
> is listed eighth).

Actually, it varies a fair amount. One of the reasons that the
old site comes out higher is because it is cross-referenced in
more categories in various directories. In the dmoz open
directory, it is linked to one additional category. I could
counter this by simply removing the primary reference to it, but I
think that would be overstepping the bounds of my editorial
discretion on dmoz....

Eric

* Re: Xconq Mailing Lists - Please Read
@ 2005-04-08 19:10     ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2005-04-08 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: Philip J. Hollenback, xconq7

Eric McDonald wrote:

> A couple months ago, Stan looked over the Sourceforge site, and
> thought we were ready to make the official transition to Sourceforge.
> I am just waiting for him to pull the plug on Xconq's presence on
> Redhat's Sourceware server....

Yeah, I'm being a slacker. There are a whole bunch of loose ends
that I would want to tie up, such as making raw dumps of the CVS
repository, should one wish to dredge around in history.

Stan

* Re: Xconq Mailing Lists - Please Read
@ 2005-04-09  1:59       ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2005-04-09  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs; +Cc: xconq7

Hi Stan,

Stan Shebs wrote:

> Yeah, I'm being a slacker. There are a whole bunch of loose ends
> that I would want to tie up, such as making raw dumps of the CVS
> repository, should one wish to dredge around in history.

I would offer to help in this matter, but last time I tried contacting
the Sourceware overseers about something (the gnatsweb system), I never
got a reply.

I can help out on the Sourceforge side, once you've gotten a tarball of
the RCS files for the repository on the Redhat machine.

Eric

* Re: Xconq Mailing Lists - Please Read
@ 2005-04-09  5:46         ` Lincoln Peters
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2005-04-09  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: xconq7

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 14:11 -0400, Eric McDonald wrote:
> If you want to see it updated, then either I need to
> have assurances that Hans will not be having any more accidents
> (allegedly) that clobber my CVS commits, or you will need to get
> someone else to do it. Talk to Stan maybe....

I don't think that it's necessary to keep it up-to-date, but I think
that if it's not going to be updated, then it needs to say that the
Xconq project has moved to SourceForge.  Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that
the confusion will continue.

> >That could easily be a source of
> > confusion for a lot of people, especially as long as Google lists the
> > RedHat site at the top of the search results when someone does a search
> > for "Xconq" (Coop's website is listed second, and the SourceForge site
> > is listed eighth).
>
> Actually, it varies a fair amount. One of the reasons that the
> old site comes out higher is because it is cross-referenced in
> more categories in various directories. In the dmoz open
> directory, it is linked to one additional category. I could
> counter this by simply removing the primary reference to it, but I
> think that would be overstepping the bounds of my editorial
> discretion on dmoz....

If there is a link to the SourceForge site given on the old site, I'm
not sure that this will be a problem.  Eventually, other sites that
reference the Xconq project will (hopefully) figure out that we've moved
the project and update their links, thus making the new site appear at
the top of the results when Googl'ed, and finally allowing us to take
the old site down.

Or so we can hope...

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

One of the most overlooked advantages to computers is...  If they do
foul up, there's no law against whacking them around a little.
		-- Joe Martin

* Following Discussion Context
@ 2005-04-09 15:04           ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2005-04-09 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Peters; +Cc: xconq7

Lincoln Peters wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 14:11 -0400, Eric McDonald wrote:
>
>>If you want to see it updated, then either I need to
>>have assurances that Hans will not be having any more accidents
>>(allegedly) that clobber my CVS commits, or you will need to get
>>someone else to do it. Talk to Stan maybe....
>

> I don't think that it's necessary to keep it up-to-date,

Actually, I wasn't suggesting anyone (me, you, others) thought that. I
see that you found something that could be interpreted ambiguously and
made the wrong assumption about it. Let me rephrase what I wrote above:

"If you want to see it updated this one time, specifically to reflect
the new location of the project, then either ..."

I had thought that given the context of the discussion, "updated" would
be interpreted in the way I intended. Apparently not.

Eric

* Re: Recent Mac OS X Build?
@ 2005-04-11 16:03   ` Robert Goulding
From: Robert Goulding @ 2005-04-11 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: Bob Beaty, xconq7

On Apr 8, 2005, at 7:45 AM, Eric McDonald wrote:

> Bob Beaty wrote:
>> Not trying to be a pest, here... but are those folks who built Xconq
>> for Mac OS X no longer doing so? I play it exclusively on my OS X
>> machine and would love to stay up on the latest improvements in the
>> game.
>
> I would love it if someone would build for MacOS too. However, I do
> not presently have a working, modern Mac and thus cannot attempt it. I
> may use the Sourceforge compile farm at some point, but that is down
> the road. I have other priorities right now....
>
> As far as other Mac people go: Stan Shebs seems too busy to do much
> with Xconq nowadays; Hans Ronne is no longer active with the project;
> Robert Goulding started to work on building a recent version on OS X,
> but I never heard back from him; I received private email from another
> guy who offered to look into it, but I never heard back from him
> either....

Sorry, have been away at conferences etc. for the last few weeks.  Will
get back onto it, and send you more details in the next couple of days
(all, alas, unsatisfactory attempts to build the Tk interface for OSX).

Robert.

* Re: Recent Mac OS X Build?
@ 2005-04-11 16:57     ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2005-04-11 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goulding; +Cc: xconq7

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Robert Goulding wrote:

> Sorry, have been away at conferences etc. for the last few weeks.

No problem.

>Will
> get back onto it, and send you more details in the next couple of days
> (all, alas, unsatisfactory attempts to build the Tk interface for OSX).

Good. Like I said before, I am very keen on getting this taken
care of. As long as you have the time and the willingness, I will
do whatever I can to help you with it.

Eric