public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* XConq
@ 2006-10-16 19:47 Skam-MC
From: Skam-MC @ 2006-10-16 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Hello. I have some questions regarding Game Design using XConq. Here they are:

1) Is it possible to create some means of day/night change (for example, I want to create a Vampire unit type which moves at night much faster than at day)?

2) One of the sides needs only to cross some line (for example, country boundaries) in order to win. Is it possible to create such a winning condition?

3) Is it possible to create a unit which can build bridges, for example?

Best wishes, looking forward to your reply...

* Re: XConq
@ 2006-12-13  4:48 ` mskala
From: mskala @ 2006-12-13  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skam-MC; +Cc: xconq7

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Skam-MC wrote:
> 1) Is it possible to create some means of day/night change (for example,
> I want to create a Vampire unit type which moves at night much faster
> than at day)?

Yes, see things like day-length, vision-night-effect, and so on.  The
day/night model is quite sophisticated and includes not only day and
night, but also the changing seasons and the fact that (if your map covers
the globe or a significant fraction of it) it can be day in one place and
night in another.

> 2) One of the sides needs only to cross some line (for example, country
> boundaries) in order to win. Is it possible to create such a winning
> condition?

As far as I know, that can't be done *directly*, which is a shame because
I've wanted it myself.  However, the existing features can be used
creatively to implement something very similar.

One way to do it:  have special terrain in the "goal" area.  When the
right kind of unit enters that terrain, it wrecks into a unit type that is
worth victory points; nothing else is worth victory points to that side.

> 3) Is it possible to create a unit which can build bridges, for example?

Yes, see the "add-terrain" action.

Note:  this mailing list on redhat.com isn't the preferred venue for such
questions anymore.  The SourceForge mailing lists are a better place to
discuss XConq now.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                    Embrace and defend.