public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Hans Ronne <hronne@telia.com>
To: Elijah Meeks <elijahmeeks@yahoo.com>
Cc: xconq7@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Supply and AI
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 20:01:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>In the immortal words of Microsoft: it's not a bug,
>it's a feature.  You can only move units in armies, so
>you load them onto armies (or fleets for ships) from
>the city.  The ferry tables allow for movement from
>armyy to city and city to army.  Units then attack
>from the armies.  There are no repair settings, yet,
>but eventually cities will repair units.

I see. Well, that explains why the xconq AI is perplexed, too. It expects
to be able to move its units after creation. Eventually, it might be able
to figure out that it needs armies to "ferry" free units, but the transport
code is not too bright, so don't count on it.

You are really trying to do something for which xconq is not designed: move
groups of units as one unit. A better way to implement the army concept
might be to use multipart units, something which is supported in xconq.

>> BTW, if you want the AI to be less protective about
>> cities (generally not a
>> good idea) you can change ai-peace-garrison and
>> ai-war-garrison from their
>> defult values of 0 and 1, respectively. However, I
>> recommend the opposite:
>> a war garrison of at least 2 units is needed in most
>> games.
>
>I changed this and it didn't seem to have any effect.

It will if the AI can move the free units.

>> Do you have a stack trace? If you tell me where the
>> code is crashing it
>> will be easier to fix.
>
>I'm afraid I don't even know what a stack trace is.

It's the output you get if you crash when running the app under a debugger.
Ver useful since it tells you what happened before the crash.

>Transports have very little functionality as is,
>though, because it doesn't seem you can load
>sub-occupants.  I'll probably need to cut them loose
>from the whole Fleet/Army system, anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but you can certainly load occs that
have their own occs if things are set up correctly.

Hans