public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: xconq7, Receive SIX FREE VlAGRA tablets, limited time offer.
       [not found] <200308020606.h7266RTD417424@mailapps2-int.prodigy.net>
@ 2003-08-02 14:21 ` Lincoln Peters
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2003-08-02 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xconq list

Are the idiots that send this kind of stuff to the list even
subscribed?  I haven't seen anything like this on other mailing lists.

On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 23:03, kalilinoe wrote:
> Dear xconq7@sources.redhat.com
>
> For the first time on the web, we are offering
>
> V*I*A*G*R*A   F*R*E*E!
>
> Yes, check out this limited time offer:
>
> http://pharma.12freehost.com/

> http://pharma.12freehost.com/remove.php to un-subscribe

* [OFFTOPIC] Re: xconq7, Receive SIX FREE VlAGRA tablets, limited time offer.
@ 2003-08-02 20:58   ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-08-02 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Peters; +Cc: Xconq list

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> Are the idiots that send this kind of stuff to the list even
> subscribed?  I haven't seen anything like this on other mailing lists.

I certainly have. Unsubscribed individuals should be able to mail to a
list address and have that exploded to the distribution list in most cases.

If sources.redhat.com is not already using open relay databases and
real-time blackhole lists, then perhaps this is something to consider as a
spam-fighting tool (at the cost of possibly blocking legitimate
postings)....

Another thing that would be potentially helpful, if the cat wasn't already
out of the bag, would be to write addresses as:
  xconq7 at sources dot redhat dot com
instead of:
  xconq7@sources.redhat.com
to help prevent robots from harvesting addresses from the list archives and
other Web pages.

Eric

* Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: xconq7, Receive SIX FREE VlAGRA tablets, limited time  offer.
@ 2003-08-02 21:34     ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-08-02 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: xconq7

>If sources.redhat.com is not already using open relay databases and
>real-time blackhole lists, then perhaps this is something to consider as a
>spam-fighting tool (at the cost of possibly blocking legitimate
>postings)....
>
>Another thing that would be potentially helpful, if the cat wasn't already
>out of the bag, would be to write addresses as:
>  xconq7 at sources dot redhat dot com
>instead of:
>  xconq7@sources.redhat.com
>to help prevent robots from harvesting addresses from the list archives and
>other Web pages.

That's already implemented. Check out the mail archives. Actually, I'm
impressed by how little spam we get on this list. The guys at redhat are
doing a rather good job, I would say.

Hans

* Re: [OFFTOPIC] xconq7, Receive SIX FREE VlAGRA tablets, limited time offer.
@ 2003-08-03  5:02       ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-08-03  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: xconq7

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> That's already implemented. Check out the mail archives. Actually, I'm

Ooops, yes, you're right. Don't know what I was thinking.
Still, there are direct references to the mailing list address on the main
mailing list page and at the top of each archive page. (And in my recently
archived message; sorry).

> impressed by how little spam we get on this list. The guys at redhat are
> doing a rather good job, I would say.

I agree. My earlier remarks were not intended as criticism of them. This
piece of spam was actually the first I remember since I started paying
attention to the list again back in June. A much better track record than
many lists I have been on....

  Regards,
   Eric