public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Hans Ronne <hronne@comhem.se>
To: Peter Garrone <pgarrone@acay.com.au>
Cc: xconq7@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: plan_transport
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:23:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>> Perhaps this could be an additional U_PROP or UU_TABLE rather than
>> an AI heuristic. That way the game designer has the flexibility
>> to designate units in some 'ai-occupant-helps-transport' table.
>> Another thing that I have been thinking about for a couple of
>> months now is whether 'ai-peace-garrison' and 'ai-war-garrison'
>> are really the best ways to go about specifying occupant/transport
>> recommendations to the AI. I think that perhaps these should be
>> TableUU things, so that the AI (with proper coding added) can be
>> more discriminating about which units to garrison with.
>>
>I thought it would be better to have the AI analyse the basic
>capabilities of all the units and have it do it itself, rather than
>embed it in the GDL. However I am not yet very familiar with the GDL so
>I cant really comment. for the moment, I dont really propose to extend
>the GDL anyway.

The main reason why we have things like ai-peace-garrison and
ai-war-garrison (and also doctrines) is that the AI is not smart enough to
handle all possible situations in all possible games. Usually, the game
designer understands the game better than the AI will ever do, and this is
one way for him to help the AI. If we had a really good all-purpose AI, we
would not need this kind of stuff.

Hans