public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
[parent not found: <20030919125716.B22061@moore.indstate.edu>]
* Re: tk-xconq font sizes
@ 2003-09-19 18:55 Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-09-19 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

>Since so many entity sizes are fixed-sized using pixel-sizes, why are the
>fonts fixed-sized in point sizes?  On my 128dpi X display, the interface
>looks horrible (text severely overruns the space allotted everywhere).
>Changing all the fixed font sizes in tkconq.tcl to negative numbers of the
>same magnitude (thus assuming a 72dpi display) makes everything return to
>half-way normal.  The font sizes should probably either be user-adjustable
>(where applicable, at least with map lablels perhaps) or be negative (i.e.,
>pixel-sized, not point-sized), or the interface should change size in
>relation to the fonts (you can't always expect someone's "helvetica" to be
>the same as adobe's helvetica).  There are definitely places for each of the
>three approaches.  Note that 7.4 suffers the same problem in some places, but
>it's not as obvious for some reason (perhaps smaller default fonts).

I'll see what I can do. Somebody with an 800 x 600 screen complained about
the same thing a while ago. Fonts in the tcltk interface are pesky because
their implementations differ a lot between the three supported platforms.
Your suggestion about negative sizes seems like a good idea provided that
it also works under Windows and MacOS.

Hans