public inbox for archer@sourceware.org
* gdb.Parameter / backtrace.py in gdb 7.0?
@ 2009-12-03 20:12 Ray Ruvinskiy
From: Ray Ruvinskiy @ 2009-12-03 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: archer

I have noticed that the gdb repository is missing all of the Archer
python samples (i.e., backtrace.py and the rest of the stuff in
gdb.pythondir, including the attribute gdb.pythondir). I was hoping that
the scripts from the Archer branch would more or less just work with gdb
7.0, but that appears not to be the case, as gdb.Parameter, which
backtrace.py uses, is completely missing from the gdb repository. I've
been trying to find out whether there is a reason for all of this, but I
can't find any e-mails anywhere.

I was wondering what reason for the divergence is and whether there is a
version of filtering backtrace that works with gdb 7.0.

Thanks,

Ray

* Re: gdb.Parameter / backtrace.py in gdb 7.0?
@ 2009-12-04 23:15 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2009-12-04 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Ruvinskiy; +Cc: archer

Ray> I have noticed that the gdb repository is missing all of the Archer
Ray> python samples (i.e., backtrace.py and the rest of the stuff in
Ray> gdb.pythondir, including the attribute gdb.pythondir). I was hoping
Ray> that the scripts from the Archer branch would more or less just work
Ray> with gdb 7.0, but that appears not to be the case, as gdb.Parameter,
Ray> which backtrace.py uses, is completely missing from the gdb
Ray> repository. I've been trying to find out whether there is a reason for
Ray> all of this, but I can't find any e-mails anywhere.

There's no good reason, it is just that nobody has yet done the work to
merge things upstream.

This is something we plan to do, though it has been slow going.
Currently, Phil is the main person working on Python stuff, and he has
been focused on bug-fixing.

Ray> I was wondering what reason for the divergence is and whether there is
Ray> a version of filtering backtrace that works with gdb 7.0.

Nope.  Also, I think there is more missing than just Parameter.

Tom

* Re: gdb.Parameter / backtrace.py in gdb 7.0?
@ 2009-12-05  9:27   ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2009-12-05  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Ray Ruvinskiy, archer

On 12/04/2009 11:15 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Ray> I have noticed that the gdb repository is missing all of the Archer
> Ray> python samples (i.e., backtrace.py and the rest of the stuff in
> Ray> gdb.pythondir, including the attribute gdb.pythondir). I was hoping
> Ray> that the scripts from the Archer branch would more or less just work
> Ray> with gdb 7.0, but that appears not to be the case, as gdb.Parameter,
> Ray> which backtrace.py uses, is completely missing from the gdb
> Ray> repository. I've been trying to find out whether there is a reason for
> Ray> all of this, but I can't find any e-mails anywhere.
>
> There's no good reason, it is just that nobody has yet done the work to
> merge things upstream.
>
> This is something we plan to do, though it has been slow going.
> Currently, Phil is the main person working on Python stuff, and he has
> been focused on bug-fixing.

I typically use the GDB sourceware bugzilla as my on-going (ever
growing!) task list.  In amongst the bugs, there are enhancement
requests too.  If you have a use for a particular piece of code that
is not yet merged upstream, you could add it as an enhancement
request.  I'm fine with that -- just make sure to mark the Product as:
"GDB", and the component as: "Python".

> Ray> I was wondering what reason for the divergence is and whether there is
> Ray> a version of filtering backtrace that works with gdb 7.0.
>
> Nope.  Also, I think there is more missing than just Parameter.

There are quite a few bits I would like to see merged too.

Cheers,

Phil