public inbox for archer@sourceware.org
* Calling -enable-pretty-printing without modifying the GUI frontend
@ 2009-09-03 21:16 Noam Yorav-Raphael
From: Noam Yorav-Raphael @ 2009-09-03 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: archer

Hello,

This applies to the archer-tromey-python branch - I don't know if it
applies to other branches.

A command -enable-pretty-printing was added, for
backward-compatibility reasons, which is needed to let MI commands be
affected by pretty-printers.

My question is whether there's a way to automatically enable pretty
printing without the frontend calling the command - for example, it
would be nice if I could add it to the gdbinit file. I have to work
with a not very new version of kdevelop as a gdb frontend, and
recompiling it is not an option. I would prefer not to use a special
branch of gdb which has pretty printers enabled by default.

Is it possible?

Thanks,
Noam

* Re: Calling -enable-pretty-printing without modifying the GUI frontend
@ 2009-09-03 21:46 ` Pedro Alves
From: Pedro Alves @ 2009-09-03 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: archer; +Cc: Noam Yorav-Raphael

On Thursday 03 September 2009 22:16:39, Noam Yorav-Raphael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This applies to the archer-tromey-python branch - I don't know if it
> applies to other branches.
>
> A command -enable-pretty-printing was added, for
> backward-compatibility reasons, which is needed to let MI commands be
> affected by pretty-printers.
>
> My question is whether there's a way to automatically enable pretty
> printing without the frontend calling the command - for example, it
> would be nice if I could add it to the gdbinit file. I have to work
> with a not very new version of kdevelop as a gdb frontend, and
> recompiling it is not an option. I would prefer not to use a special
> branch of gdb which has pretty printers enabled by default.
>
> Is it possible?

Maybe 'interpreter-exec mi -enable-pretty-printing'.

--
Pedro Alves

* Re: Calling -enable-pretty-printing without modifying the GUI frontend
@ 2009-09-03 22:01 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2009-09-03 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Yorav-Raphael; +Cc: archer

Noam> My question is whether there's a way to automatically enable pretty
Noam> printing without the frontend calling the command - for example, it
Noam> would be nice if I could add it to the gdbinit file. I have to work
Noam> with a not very new version of kdevelop as a gdb frontend, and
Noam> recompiling it is not an option. I would prefer not to use a special
Noam> branch of gdb which has pretty printers enabled by default.

Noam> Is it possible?

The reason we added an explicit command is that older clients may not
function properly with pretty-printing.

For example, if you try to pretty-print an uninitialized object, you
might get a very large number of children, causing your debug session to
lock up or crash.

So, even if it is possible, I would recommend against it.

Tom

* Re: Calling -enable-pretty-printing without modifying the GUI  frontend
@ 2009-09-04  5:12   ` Noam Yorav-Raphael
From: Noam Yorav-Raphael @ 2009-09-04  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Alves; +Cc: archer

Thanks! It's just what I need.

@ 2009-09-04  5:14   ` Noam Yorav-Raphael
From: Noam Yorav-Raphael @ 2009-09-04  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: archer

Thanks for the warning. I think that in my case it will be ok - I'm
only adding my own pretty-printers, which have a constant number of
fields. (I've seen them pretty-printed uninitialized in the GUI, and
it looks ok.)