public inbox for archer@sourceware.org
* dwarf name canonicalization
@ 2010-02-23 20:52 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2010-02-23 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Project Archer

Keith, do you happen to know offhand what things in gdb rely on
canonicalizing C++ names in the dwarf reader?

I was discussing this canonicalization with a user who prefers to remain
anonymous.  His experience is that this canonicalization greatly slows
down gdb startup (he said 15%), and in his experience isn't needed for
his use case, which is running gdb as part of an IDE.

I'm wondering whether it would make sense to somehow disable this, maybe
via some special mode for IDEs to use.  I thought maybe you'd know what
would break...

My understanding is that the typical IDE use cases are much more
restricted than what CLI users do.  E.g., in the IDE case, most
breakpoints are set by "file:line" and expression evaluation is not as
important.

Tom