* svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-04-09 18:26 Christian Joensson
From: Christian Joensson @ 2006-04-09 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Is there any official or unofficial svn interface with the binutils
development repository available somehow?

--
Cheers,

/ChJ

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-04-10 15:44 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-04-10 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 09:24:13AM +0200, Christian Joensson wrote:
> Is there any official or unofficial svn interface with the binutils
> development repository available somehow?

Not yet.  I've been looking into this, though...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-04-11 23:57   ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2006-04-11 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

> > Is there any official or unofficial svn interface with the binutils
> > development repository available somehow?
>
> Not yet.  I've been looking into this, though...

Are there any plans to convert src/ in entirety over to SVN?

Ben

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-04-12  6:06     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-04-12  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:12:48AM +1000, Ben Elliston wrote:
> > > Is there any official or unofficial svn interface with the binutils
> > > development repository available somehow?
> >
> > Not yet.  I've been looking into this, though...
>
> Are there any plans to convert src/ in entirety over to SVN?

Not yet.

The major stumbling block is that there is no easy way to check out
just binutils after a wholesale conversion.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-04-12  6:40       ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2006-04-12  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On Wed, 2006-04-12 00:37:30 -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:

> > > Not yet.  I've been looking into this, though...
> >
> > Are there any plans to convert src/ in entirety over to SVN?
>
> Not yet.
>
> The major stumbling block is that there is no easy way to check out
> just binutils after a wholesale conversion.

If CVS is abandoned, why would SVN be choosen? For personal use, I'm
using GIT these days and it's a nice experience.

I'm currently running a SVN->GIT conversion for the GCC repo (which is
at aboput 70% of the SVN revision numbers right now) for personal use.
I tried to do that for the Binutils (whole `src'), too, but that
showed up some problems in the CVS import scripts, though these are
worked on.

IBGT on the `check out just binutils' thing: HDDs are somewhat cheap
these days and thus I'd just rule out that argument.

Once the CVS import problems are ironed out, I'd really suggest to
think about GIT.

MfG, JBG
PS: After verifying that at least the tips of all branches are
correct, I'll of course offer the GCC GIT repo for cloning.

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-04-12 13:47         ` Paul Brook
From: Paul Brook @ 2006-04-12 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils; +Cc: Jan-Benedict Glaw

> IBGT on the `check out just binutils' thing: HDDs are somewhat cheap
> these days and thus I'd just rule out that argument.

It's not just disk space, it's also network bandwidth. The entire src tree is
three times the size of just binutils (340Mb vs 113Mb).

Also if you have a fully populated src tree toplevel configure will try and
build all of it. Getting all of gdb, newlib, cygwin and GOK what else when
you just want binutils doesn't sound like a practical solution.

Paul

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-04-12 13:55           ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2006-04-12 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul; +Cc: binutils, jbglaw

 >> IBGT on the `check out just binutils' thing: HDDs are somewhat
 >> cheap these days and thus I'd just rule out that argument.

 Paul> It's not just disk space, it's also network bandwidth. The
 Paul> entire src tree is three times the size of just binutils (340Mb
 Paul> vs 113Mb).

 Paul> Also if you have a fully populated src tree toplevel configure
 Paul> will try and build all of it. Getting all of gdb, newlib,
 Paul> cygwin and GOK what else when you just want binutils doesn't
 Paul> sound like a practical solution.

Sure.  But I don't understand the statement that Subversion doesn't
support doing so -- it does.  You can check out any subtree you want.

	paul

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-04-12 13:58             ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-04-12 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Koning; +Cc: paul, binutils, jbglaw

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:47:18AM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
> Sure.  But I don't understand the statement that Subversion doesn't
> support doing so -- it does.  You can check out any subtree you want.

Have you looked at the layout of the src tree lately?  Binutils is not
a subtree.

  src/Makefile.tpl
  src/gas
  src/bfd
  src/gdb

et cetera.  We want gas, bfd, and Makefile.tpl, but not GDB.

You can make SVN not update parts of the tree, e.g. by svn switching
subtrees to an empty directory.  But that doesn't help you with the
checkout.

SVK now offers "views" for this purpose, which seem quite nice.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-04-12 13:58               ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2006-04-12 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drow; +Cc: paul, binutils, jbglaw

 Daniel> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:47:18AM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
 >> Sure.  But I don't understand the statement that Subversion
 >> doesn't support doing so -- it does.  You can check out any
 >> subtree you want.

 Daniel> Have you looked at the layout of the src tree lately?
 Daniel> Binutils is not a subtree.

 Daniel> src/Makefile.tpl src/gas src/bfd src/gdb

 Daniel> et cetera.  We want gas, bfd, and Makefile.tpl, but not GDB.

 Daniel> You can make SVN not update parts of the tree, e.g. by svn
 Daniel> switching subtrees to an empty directory.  But that doesn't
 Daniel> help you with the checkout.

Externals can do this.

	  paul

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-04-12 14:02         ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-04-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 08:06:41AM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> If CVS is abandoned, why would SVN be choosen? For personal use, I'm
> using GIT these days and it's a nice experience.

Because (A) GCC uses it, and (B) it uses a familiar development
workflow to CVS.

This argument has been had in enough places, at enough times, I think.
Also, once switched to a changeset based system, moving to another
changeset based system is much less difficult.  There's still some
doubt whether src should change at all, but I really don't feel we
need to debate what it would change to.

Doing live imports from SVN to GIT is probably not hard for folks
who would prefer to use GIT; in fact I see that svnimport already does
support it.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-04-12 15:12                 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-04-12 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Koning; +Cc: paul, binutils, jbglaw

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:57:58AM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
> Externals can do this.

Externals offer their own host of problems.  Off the top of my head,
you have to use a more complicated procedure to create branches,
you have to take a different approach to use SVK, and I believe
commits won't recurse properly if you want to change both bfd and
gdb.  And you can't readily use externals to get individual
files, like those in the top level.

I've spent quite a lot of time working on this problem; I don't
think externals are a satisfactory solution.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-05-09 14:17 ` Christian Joensson
From: Christian Joensson @ 2006-05-09 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On 4/9/06, Christian Joensson <christian.joensson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any official or unofficial svn interface with the binutils
> development repository available somehow?

Did this simply die? I for sure would really appreciate this...

--

@ 2006-05-09 14:49   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-05-09 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 01:06:58PM +0200, Christian Joensson wrote:
> On 4/9/06, Christian Joensson <christian.joensson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Is there any official or unofficial svn interface with the binutils
> >development repository available somehow?
>
> Did this simply die? I for sure would really appreciate this...

I've been working on cvs2svn changes to maintain such a repository, but
it's a large project.  It will take a while.

It would be easy if we just wanted to make a permanent switch, but I
don't think we do yet.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-08-08 14:31   ` Christian Joensson
From: Christian Joensson @ 2006-08-08 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On 5/9/06, Christian Joensson <christian.joensson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/9/06, Christian Joensson <christian.joensson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there any official or unofficial svn interface with the binutils
> > development repository available somehow?
>
> Did this simply die? I for sure would really appreciate this...

I kinda lost track of this... wasn't someone looking a bit at this?

--

@ 2006-08-08 14:52     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-08-08 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils, binutils

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 04:30:56PM +0200, Christian Joensson wrote:
> On 5/9/06, Christian Joensson <christian.joensson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 4/9/06, Christian Joensson <christian.joensson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is there any official or unofficial svn interface with the binutils
> >> development repository available somehow?
> >
> >Did this simply die? I for sure would really appreciate this...
>
> I kinda lost track of this... wasn't someone looking a bit at this?

Nothing came of it.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: svn read of the binutils development repository?
@ 2006-08-08 16:59       ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-08-08 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils, binutils

@ 2006-11-23 11:14     ` Christian Joensson
From: Christian Joensson @ 2006-11-23 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

On 8/8/06, Christian Joensson <christian.joensson@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Is there any official or unofficial svn interface with the binutils
> > > development repository available somehow?

I know I shouldn't... but I simply can't resist, may I ping this idea again?

--

@ 2006-04-12 13:05 Alessio.MASSARO
From: Alessio.MASSARO @ 2006-04-12 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

If they are both worthy, we could run an election.
I vote SVN

 ###  OXFORD INSTRUMENTS   http://www.oxford-instruments.com/  ###

Unless stated above to be non-confidential, this E-mail and any
attachments are private and confidential and are for the addressee
only and may not be used, copied or disclosed save to the addressee.
If you have received this E-mail in error please notify us upon receipt
and delete it from your records. Internet communications are not secure
and Oxford Instruments is not responsible for their abuse by third
parties nor for any alteration or corruption in transmission.