* Re: nios-elf-objcopy S-record length
@ 2005-02-24 20:06 ` E. Weddington
From: E. Weddington @ 2005-02-24 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swiger, Dan; +Cc: binutils

Swiger, Dan wrote:

>Thanks for the tip... I'll check it out!  As it turns out, I can't find the
>source for my version of objdump anyway, and am reluctant to ask Altera for
>it.  They haven't been very forthcoming with information.

Not to get into a long OT discussion about it, but obviously they should
provide the sources if asked....
Though I can understand your reluctance when you're just trying to solve
your problem...

Out of curiousity, why is the SRecord line length a problem? Why do you
need 16 data bytes per line?

Eric

* RE: nios-elf-objcopy S-record length
@ 2005-02-24 20:06 Swiger, Dan
From: Swiger, Dan @ 2005-02-24 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'E. Weddington'; +Cc: binutils

Thanks for the tip... I'll check it out!  As it turns out, I can't find the
source for my version of objdump anyway, and am reluctant to ask Altera for
it.  They haven't been very forthcoming with information.

Regards,

Dan

@ 2005-02-25 15:58 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2005-02-25 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swiger, Dan; +Cc: 'binutils@sourceware.org'

Hi Dan,

> I am currently working with a GNU tool chain obtained from Altera

In theory if Altera supplied this toolchain to you then you should be
asking them for support...

> GNU objcopy 2.9-nios-010801-20030722

As has been mentioned 2.9 is a very old release of the binutils sources.
  Altera may well have modified and improved them but I doubt if they
have included the functionality that you want.  Possibly they have a
more recent release available for you to purchase.

Normally I would recommend that you obtain and use a more recent version
of the official binutils sources.  The current 2.15 release would be
good.  But of course support for the NIOS processor has not (yet) been
contributed to the binutils project.

There are other companies out there that provide GNU toolchains that
support the NIOS processor and which use more recent versions of the
binutils sources, but sadly I cannot mention any of them by, especially
since I work for one of them.

> Can someone please tell me if/how I can apply this patch to my version
> of objcopy so that I may get 16-byte S-Records generated and ease my
> life considerably?

You need the sources to your version of objcopy.  Without that you are
stuck.  With them you are in business.  The "patch" program will do most
of the work for you although you may need to edit/fix-up some of the
source files by hand.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: nios-elf-objcopy S-record length
@ 2005-02-24 21:05 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-02-24 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swiger, Dan; +Cc: 'E. Weddington', binutils

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:47:38PM -0500, Swiger, Dan wrote:

> Eric wrote:
> > Not to get into a long OT discussion about it, but obviously
> > they should
> > provide the sources if asked....
> > Though I can understand your reluctance when you're just
> > trying to solve
> > your problem...
> >
> > Out of curiousity, why is the SRecord line length a problem?
> > Why do you
> > need 16 data bytes per line?
> >
> The reason is because I will be stuffing the S-records into a 16-bit FLASH.
> We have an established S-Record download mechanism that will be greatly
> put-off by the "odd byte" on the end/beggining of an S-Record.  It stands to
> reason, to me at least, that if you are building an S-record for a 16-bit
> device (like NIOS), you'd put an even number of 16-bits in each individual
> S-Record.
>
> The other thing that confuses me is that I wouldn't expect this  version of
> the GNU tool chain to be 5 years old, which is when the patch was added to
> the "GNU mainline" (if that is an appropriate term).  The "advertised
> version" of the NIOS GNU tools is "2.9", but I can't find quickly when the
> mainline was at 2.9.

Current version is 2.16.  2.9 would be, yes, about that old.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* RE: nios-elf-objcopy S-record length