* Linker --fix-v4bx problem
@ 2020-02-09 16:34 Gary Partis
From: Gary Partis @ 2020-02-09 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hello

I am using GNU ld version 2.31.1 to target ARMv3 (ARM610/710) processors. Primarily, GCC's libgcc contains "BX LR" instructions which we want changed to "MOV PC,LR" so to be compatible with older processors, but after running the linker with the "--fix-vxb4" directive the BX instructions are still there (we use objdump to disassemble the resultant ELF file to check).

Are we missing something really obvious or is the "--fix-v4bx" directive broken in some way?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Gary Partis

* Re: Linker --fix-v4bx problem
@ 2020-02-27 16:06 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2020-02-27 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Partis, binutils

Hi Gary,

> I am using GNU ld version 2.31.1 to target ARMv3 (ARM610/710) processors. Primarily, GCC's libgcc contains "BX LR" instructions which we want changed to "MOV PC,LR" so to be compatible with older processors, but after running the linker with the "--fix-vxb4" directive the BX instructions are still there (we use objdump to disassemble the resultant ELF file to check).
>
> Are we missing something really obvious or is the "--fix-v4bx" directive broken in some way?

It could be either situation.  Please can you file a bug report here, and include a test case:

  https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/

Thanks.

Cheers
  Nick

* ***UNCHECKED*** RE: Linker --fix-v4bx problem
@ 2020-02-29 19:39   ` Gary Partis
From: Gary Partis @ 2020-02-29 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton, binutils

Hi Nick