* Retrieving exported symbols from a dll
@ 2006-07-17 13:36 Erik Leunissen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Erik Leunissen @ 2006-07-17 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

I want a list of symbols that are exported from a dll (pei-i386 format).
My first inclination was to look for an option to dlltool or objdump
that is specifically aimed for that purpose, but did not find it.

Therefore, I tend to revert to doing "objdump -x foo.dll" and scan the
output using a home grown recipe. However, that is not nearly as
straightforward as what I was looking for.

Am I right to start from "objdump -x foo.dll", or is there something
more straightforward?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Leunissen
==============

* Re: Retrieving exported symbols from a dll
@ 2006-07-17 20:03 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2006-07-17 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Erik Leunissen wrote:

> I want a list of symbols that are exported from a dll (pei-i386 format).
> My first inclination was to look for an option to dlltool or objdump
> that is specifically aimed for that purpose, but did not find it.
>
> Therefore, I tend to revert to doing "objdump -x foo.dll" and scan the
> output using a home grown recipe. However, that is not nearly as
> straightforward as what I was looking for.
>
> Am I right to start from "objdump -x foo.dll", or is there something
> more straightforward?

It's not exactly on-topic for this list but the mingw project has a
(GPL) utility 'pexports' which does exactly this.  Its output is a list
of the exports of the DLL, in .DEF file format.

Brian

* RE: Retrieving exported symbols from a dll
@ 2006-07-17 20:56 ` Danny Smith
> I want a list of symbols that are exported from a dll
> (pei-i386 format).
> My first inclination was to look for an option to dlltool or objdump
> that is specifically aimed for that purpose, but did not find it.
>
> Therefore, I tend to revert to doing "objdump -x foo.dll" and
> scan the
> output using a home grown recipe. However, that is not nearly as
> straightforward as what I was looking for.

There is a program called pedump, source published here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/03/PE2/
that does the trick.

There are mingw32-built win32 binaries of above availiable on net via a
Google search.

Even if you don't want the code, Matt Pietrekk's article is worth a read
anyway if you are interested in PE format.

Danny

* Re: Retrieving exported symbols from a dll
@ 2006-07-17 23:44 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-07-17 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils, Erik Leunissen

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 03:36:30PM +0200, Erik Leunissen wrote:
>I want a list of symbols that are exported from a dll (pei-i386 format).
>My first inclination was to look for an option to dlltool or objdump
>that is specifically aimed for that purpose, but did not find it.
>
>Therefore, I tend to revert to doing "objdump -x foo.dll" and scan the
>output using a home grown recipe. However, that is not nearly as
>straightforward as what I was looking for.
>
>Am I right to start from "objdump -x foo.dll", or is there something
>more straightforward?

How about "objdump -p" ?  The Ordinal/Name Pointer Table seems to list
what you want.

cgf