* Re: Please put binutils PR number in git commit log
       [not found] <CAMe9rOpbgvJ1h=fQkguX6bPDJxMkNMUSAd27RVUSZjXzz9WSwg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-02-17 15:31 ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2020-02-17 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: binutils

On 17.02.2020 15:52, H.J. Lu wrote:
> Please put put binutils PR number in git commit log, like
>
> https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;h=0aa99dcd70bce68f8efef310350a6294e1143382
>
> so that the bug report which the patch is fixing will be updated automatically.

I was wondering how this auto-updating works. But repeating the ChangeLog
entries in the commit message is not an option imo. Or is this spelled
out as a requirement somewhere? There should be a way to achieve this
without such redundancy.

Jan

* Re: Please put binutils PR number in git commit log
@ 2020-02-17 15:41   ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 2020-02-17 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: binutils

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 7:31 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:

> On 17.02.2020 15:52, H.J. Lu wrote:
> > Please put put binutils PR number in git commit log, like
> >
> > https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;h=0aa99dcd70bce68f8efef310350a6294e1143382
> >
> > so that the bug report which the patch is fixing will be updated automatically.
>
> I was wondering how this auto-updating works. But repeating the ChangeLog
> entries in the commit message is not an option imo. Or is this spelled
> out as a requirement somewhere? There should be a way to achieve this
> without such redundancy.

This is how git commit updates bug report today.  Until it is changed, please
add PR number in git commit log.

Thanks.

--
H.J.

* Re: Please put binutils PR number in git commit log
@ 2020-02-17 15:43     ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2020-02-17 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: binutils

On 17.02.2020 16:41, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 7:31 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 17.02.2020 15:52, H.J. Lu wrote:
>>> Please put put binutils PR number in git commit log, like
>>>
>>> https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;h=0aa99dcd70bce68f8efef310350a6294e1143382
>>>
>>> so that the bug report which the patch is fixing will be updated automatically.
>>
>> I was wondering how this auto-updating works. But repeating the ChangeLog
>> entries in the commit message is not an option imo. Or is this spelled
>> out as a requirement somewhere? There should be a way to achieve this
>> without such redundancy.
>>

> This is how git commit updates bug report today.  Until it is changed, please
> add PR number in git commit log.

I'm happy to do so, but not in the shape you've pointed at as an
example. What exactly is being looked for by whatever grabs the
number out of the description?

Jan

* Re: Please put binutils PR number in git commit log
@ 2020-02-17 15:47       ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 2020-02-17 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: binutils

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 7:43 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:

> On 17.02.2020 16:41, H.J. Lu wrote:

> >> I was wondering how this auto-updating works. But repeating the ChangeLog
> >> entries in the commit message is not an option imo. Or is this spelled
> >> out as a requirement somewhere? There should be a way to achieve this
> >> without such redundancy.
> >>

> > This is how git commit updates bug report today.  Until it is changed, please
> > add PR number in git commit log.
>
> I'm happy to do so, but not in the shape you've pointed at as an
> example. What exactly is being looked for by whatever grabs the
> number out of the description?

I think "PR component/number" works in subject or the message body.

--
H.J.

* Re: Please put binutils PR number in git commit log
@ 2020-02-17 15:50         ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2020-02-17 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: binutils

On 17.02.2020 16:46, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 7:43 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:

>>> This is how git commit updates bug report today.  Until it is changed, please
>>> add PR number in git commit log.
>>
>> I'm happy to do so, but not in the shape you've pointed at as an
>> example. What exactly is being looked for by whatever grabs the
>> number out of the description?
>
> I think "PR component/number" works in subject or the message body.

Okay, I'll try to remember adding these in some such form then.
(To date I was assuming the ChangeLog entries would be what gets
scanned.)

Jan

* Re: Please put binutils PR number in git commit log
@ 2020-02-17 16:54           ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 2020-02-17 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: binutils

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 7:50 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:

> On 17.02.2020 16:46, H.J. Lu wrote:

> >> I'm happy to do so, but not in the shape you've pointed at as an
> >> example. What exactly is being looked for by whatever grabs the
> >> number out of the description?
> >
> > I think "PR component/number" works in subject or the message body.
>
> Okay, I'll try to remember adding these in some such form then.
> (To date I was assuming the ChangeLog entries would be what gets
> scanned.)

Thanks.

--
H.J.