* Open branches for backports
@ 2023-01-10 12:02 Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus
From: Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus @ 2023-01-10 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing a target specific fix which I would like to backport.
Which branches are currently open for backports?  Just for the future,
is there a place where this information is kept or should I just ask on
the mailinglist again?

Thanks,
Stefan

* Re: Open branches for backports
@ 2023-01-10 12:29 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2023-01-10 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus, binutils

Hi Stefan,

> I'm preparing a target specific fix which I would like to backport.
> Which branches are currently open for backports?

Generally speaking we only accept backports to the most recent release
branch.  So in this case that would mean the 2.39 branch.  But ...

... The 2.40 branch has been created and is currently accepting bug
fix backports.  So if your fix is submitted soon, it may get in before
the release actually happens.  Once the 2.40 release is out of the door,
the 2.40 branch will then be the branch suitable for receiving backports.

It is possible to apply patches to other, earlier branches as well.  But
it is very unlikely that there will ever be any more official releases
made from those old branches.

> Just for the future,
> is there a place where this information is kept

There is a small reference to this issue in the binutils/MAINTAINERS file
where it says:

     "If a patch is approved for check in to the mainline
      sources, it can also be checked into the current
      release branch."

But it could be publicised more widely.  I feel like this is something
that should be mentioned on the Binutils wiki as well.

> or should I just ask on the mailinglist again?

You can always do that too.

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: Open branches for backports
@ 2023-01-10 13:33   ` Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus
From: Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus @ 2023-01-10 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

Hi Nick,

thanks for clarification.  I will quickly come up with the fix and
prepare it for mainline and 2.{39,40} then.

Cheers,
Stefan