* pdp11 gas/testsuite FAILs: *ABS* vs. .text
@ 2020-09-03  7:05 Stephen Casner
From: Stephen Casner @ 2020-09-03  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

There are two new FAILs for pdp11 gas testsuite since I last ran it
before the 2.35 release.  In both tests, objdump is showing the
section for a reference to location 00000000 of the .text section as
.text whereas the test script is expecting *ABS*.  However, .text
seems reasonable to me, so the scripts may just be wrong.  These are:

gas/testsuite/gas/pdp11/opcode.[sd]
gas/testsuite/gas/pdp11/absreloc.[sd]

The lines in question are unchanged since they were originally
committed by Alan Modra and Paul Koning, respectively, so I defer to
you guys.

                                                        -- Steve

* Re: pdp11 gas/testsuite FAILs: *ABS* vs. .text
@ 2020-09-03 13:34 ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2020-09-03 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Casner; +Cc: Nick Clifton via Binutils

> On Sep 3, 2020, at 3:05 AM, Stephen Casner <casner@acm.org> wrote:
>
> There are two new FAILs for pdp11 gas testsuite since I last ran it
> before the 2.35 release.  In both tests, objdump is showing the
> section for a reference to location 00000000 of the .text section as
> .text whereas the test script is expecting *ABS*.  However, .text
> seems reasonable to me, so the scripts may just be wrong.  These are:
>
> gas/testsuite/gas/pdp11/opcode.[sd]
> gas/testsuite/gas/pdp11/absreloc.[sd]
>
> The lines in question are unchanged since they were originally
> committed by Alan Modra and Paul Koning, respectively, so I defer to
> you guys.
>
>                                                        -- Steve

That seems reasonable.  Neither file has a section declaration in it.  Did the default section change from abs to text?

	paul

* Re: pdp11 gas/testsuite FAILs: *ABS* vs. .text
@ 2020-09-03 20:44   ` Stephen Casner
From: Stephen Casner @ 2020-09-03 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Koning; +Cc: Nick Clifton via Binutils

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020, Paul Koning wrote:
> > On Sep 3, 2020, at 3:05 AM, Stephen Casner <casner@acm.org> wrote:
> >
> > There are two new FAILs for pdp11 gas testsuite since I last ran it
> > before the 2.35 release.  In both tests, objdump is showing the
> > section for a reference to location 00000000 of the .text section as
> > .text whereas the test script is expecting *ABS*.  However, .text
> > seems reasonable to me, so the scripts may just be wrong.  These are:
> >
> > gas/testsuite/gas/pdp11/opcode.[sd]
> > gas/testsuite/gas/pdp11/absreloc.[sd]
> >
> > The lines in question are unchanged since they were originally
> > committed by Alan Modra and Paul Koning, respectively, so I defer to
> > you guys.
>
> That seems reasonable.  Neither file has a section declaration in
> it.  Did the default section change from abs to text?

If there was a default section change, it didn't make NEWS, nor could
I find anything in ChangeLog.  I did not find a specification of a
default section in the doc, either; the closest hint was in the
description of .ltorg:  "This directive causes the current contents of
the literal pool to be dumped into the current section (which is
assumed to be the .text section)".  The notion of a default section
may depend upon the object format.

Is there a directive to set the current section to *ABS*?

@ 2020-09-04  0:39   ` Stephen Casner
From: Stephen Casner @ 2020-09-04  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Koning; +Cc: Nick Clifton via Binutils

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020, Paul Koning wrote:

> That seems reasonable.  Neither file has a section declaration in
> it.  Did the default section change from abs to text?

I found that .text is set as the initial section as assembly begins;
that code is old.  But more to the point I found that the change is in
objdump, not in gas.  The current objdump shows .text rather than
*ABS* for an absreloc.o file assembled with a pre-2.35 gas just as it
does in a current testsuite run.  And conversely the old objdump shows
*ABS* for both the old and new absreloc.o files.  So I'm looking
further at objdump.

@ 2020-09-04  7:57 ` Alan Modra
From: Alan Modra @ 2020-09-04  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Casner; +Cc: binutils

On Thu, Sep 03, 2020 at 12:05:54AM -0700, Stephen Casner wrote:
> There are two new FAILs for pdp11 gas testsuite since I last ran it
> before the 2.35 release.  In both tests, objdump is showing the
> section for a reference to location 00000000 of the .text section as
> .text whereas the test script is expecting *ABS*.  However, .text
> seems reasonable to me, so the scripts may just be wrong.  These are:
>
> gas/testsuite/gas/pdp11/opcode.[sd]
> gas/testsuite/gas/pdp11/absreloc.[sd]

That's curious.  I don't see any such fails, both on master and 2.35
branch.  How are you configuring binutils?

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM

* Re: pdp11 gas/testsuite FAILs: *ABS* vs. .text
@ 2020-09-04 17:16   ` Stephen Casner
From: Stephen Casner @ 2020-09-04 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Modra; +Cc: binutils

On Fri, 4 Sep 2020, Alan Modra wrote:

> That's curious.  I don't see any such fails, both on master and 2.35
> branch.  How are you configuring binutils?

I apologize for taking you guys' time.  The difference results from my
source tree not being clean, but I didn't realize it.  I believe that
.text rather than *ABS* in this instance is correct, reflecting a bug
in the pdp11 code that needs to be fixed.

                                                        -- Steve