* some targets fail to build
@ 2022-10-12 14:24 Király Tamás
From: Király Tamás @ 2022-10-12 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

I downloaded binutils 2.39 and inspected bfd/config.bfd to generate a list of targets which should cover every cases. i then processed and reformatted the text to make it digestable to the ./configure --target <triplet>.

i found that using various triplets, building binutils fails. It mostly fails at configure part but some of them fail during compilation. There are various error messages like:

  *   ld does not support target
  *   This target is no longer supported in gas

here is a list of failing targets:

armb-unknown-freebsd
armb-unknown-linux
i386-unknown-knetbsd-gnu
sh1l-unknown-elf
sparcv-unknown-linux
ns32k-pc532-ux
aarch64_be-unknown-netbsd
arm-unknown-wince
aarch64-unknown-netbsd
arm-wrs-windiss
mipsel-unknown-openbsd
powerpc64-ibm-aix5.0
mips-unknown-openbsd
powerpc64-unknown-aix
powerpc64-ibm-aix5
mips-unknown-openbsd
mips-unknown-irix5
mips-unknown-irix6
shl-unknown-elf
powerpc-unknown-macos10
alpha-unknown-elf
alpha-unknown-none
i386-unknown-macos10
powerpc-unknown-rhapsody
x86_64-unknown-dicos
powerpc64-unknown-bsd
powerpc64le-unknown-bsd
mips-unknown-chorusrdb
powerpc-unknown-chorusrdb
mips-unknown-none
x86_64-unknown-pep
ns32k-unknown-lites
rs6000-unknown-none
pdp11-unknown-none
i386-unknown-rhapsody
powerpc-unknown-lynxos
powerpc-unknown-windiss
i386-unknown-dicos
bfin-unknown-none
m32r-unknown-none
m68k-unknown-none
metag-unknown-none
ns32k-unknown-bsd
nios2eb-unknown-none
nios2el-unknown-none
nios2-unknown-none
c30-unknown-coff
nds32le-unknown-none
nds32be-unknown-none
cr16-unknown-uclinux
vax-unknown-netbsdaout
vax-unknown-openbsd
amdgcn-unknown-none
i386-unknown-interix
m32rle-unknown-linux
m32rle-unknown-none
sh-unknown-openbsd
sparc64-unknown-none
sparc-unknown-none
z8k-unknown-none
sh-unknown-none

here is a repo with more details: https://gitlab.com/tkiraly/binutils

Maybe they are indeed bad triplets, i don't know, but probably bfd/config.bfd is less strict than it should. Anyone any thoughts?

regards
Tamás Király

* Re: some targets fail to build
@ 2022-10-18 16:02 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2022-10-18 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Király Tamás, binutils

Hi Király,

> i found that using various triplets, building binutils fails. It mostly fails at configure part but some of them fail during compilation. There are various error messages like:
>
>    *   ld does not support target
>    *   This target is no longer supported in gas

It is possible that some of these target triples should be added to the
top level configure.ac file, in the code where it is constructing the
noconfigdirs variable.

> Maybe they are indeed bad triplets,

Bad is a strong word.  There are indeed ports where it is known that some
of the tools are not supported.  For example ports targeted at the darwin
execution environment do not support either an assembler or a linker.

> i don't know, but probably bfd/config.bfd is less strict than it should. Anyone any thoughts?

Yeah - it probably could be more strict, but I do not think that it is
really necessary.  The builder is told that the configuration is not
supported for the generation of a particular tool after all, even if it
is a little bit late in the configure/build process.

Cheers
   Nick