From: Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com>
To: David Guillen Fandos <david@davidgf.es>, binutils@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Upstream PSP support in binutils
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 11:07:46 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi David,

> Although I have some idea on how I will create patches, I still have
> some questions. Do you guys have some docs and guidelines on how
> patches for new targets should look like?

Not yet, but I am working on it.  I have created a wiki for the GNU binutils
(https://sourceware.org/binutils/wiki/HomePage) with the intention of adding
information suit able for users and contributors to the binutils.  It is a
work in progress at the moment, but I hope that it will prove to be useful
in the long run.

> Any preferences or guidelines to make reviews easy for you?

Off the top of my head ....

   * One patch per problem please, unless the patch is very big,
     in which case splitting it up based on top-level directory
     is usually the way to go.

   * Attached or inline patches are OK, although some people's
     mailers do tend to corrupt inline patches (by line wrapping
     them for example) so often attachments are better.

   * Use git to create the patches (or "diff -rup if the sources
     are not in a clone of the repository).

   * Include details of how you tested the patch.  If possible
     test with several different builds, in order to catch potential
     problems.  For example if you are sub,itting a PSP patch which
     also touches some generic files then testing with a toolchain
     configured for a ntive linux host would be a good idea.

> Perhaps there's some canonical examples you can point me to?

Check the binutils mailing list.  It is full of them. :-)

Cheers
   Nick