public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
* wnpp: cgen -- cpu tools generator
@ 2005-09-26  3:11 Drew Scott Daniels
From: Drew Scott Daniels @ 2005-09-26  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 95469, Eray Ozkural (exa); +Cc: cgen

Hi,
cgen looks like an interesting tool, but I'm not sure about all of it's
uses. The description says it has simulators. What kind of simulator?
Could it be used to create an emulator? Are there any alternatives to
these tools available in Debian?

Note for the Debian bug:
Upstream is still quite active (at least on the mailing lists, and cvs).
The last "release" was in 2000 or 2001, but I doubt many of the users
aren't following cvs.

     Drew Daniels

* Re: wnpp: cgen -- cpu tools generator
@ 2005-09-26  3:17 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2005-09-26  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Scott Daniels; +Cc: 95469, Eray Ozkural (exa), cgen

Hi -

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 10:11:04PM -0500, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> cgen looks like an interesting tool, but I'm not sure about all of it's
> uses. The description says it has simulators. What kind of simulator?

cgen can generate the instruction-decoding kernels of gdb and sid
simulators.  See http://sources.redhat.com/gdb and /sid.

> Could it be used to create an emulator?

To my EE ears, an "emulator" refers to a physical device that plugs
into the socket of the chip being emulated.  A simulator is a software
program that does an abstract form of that.  cgen does not deal with
emulators of this kind.

> Are there any alternatives to these tools available in Debian? [...]

I don't know.

- FChE