public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
* Regarding simulator porting using CGEN
@ 2005-10-11  7:15 Shrirang Khishti
From: Shrirang Khishti @ 2005-10-11  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

Hi All

I am working on porting binutils,simulator for a new target. I have successfully ported assembler, disassembler using CGEN . Now I want to port simulator for my target using the same cgen CPU files.   But from the documentation I could not get clearly the steps to be carried out to start porting simulator.  I am referring to m32r port . It will be great if anyone  can help in giving stepwise procedure to start porting simulator from already written cpu and opc files.

Kindly requesting anyone,
Thanking you in advance
Best Regards
Shrirang Khisti
KPIT Cummins Infosystems LTD.

* Re: Regarding simulator porting using CGEN
@ 2005-10-13 19:14 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2005-10-13 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shrirang Khishti; +Cc: cgen

Hi -

Shrirang Khishti wrote:

> [...]  I am working on porting binutils,simulator for a new
> target. I have successfully ported assembler, disassembler using
> CGEN . Now I want to port simulator for my target using the same
> cgen CPU files.  [...]

The process is roughly as follows.

First, decide whether you want to end up with a gdb- or sid-based
simulator, since cgen can generate decoding kernels for either.  Next,
check out the respective simulator distribution sources, and
duplicate/rename the configury / directory structure of another
cgen-based target (m32r might still work).  Then, have cgen generate
the kernel for your target.  Finally, write the necessary glue C or
C++ code to interface the chosen infrastructure with the kernel.  This
consists mainly of boilerplate code that embodies the instruction
fetch/decode/execute loop.

- FChE