public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
* Re: why cgen/cpu and not cgen in gdb_5_2_1-2002-07-23-release
       [not found] ` <3D3EF6CB.5080300@ges.redhat.com>
@ 2002-07-25 20:32   ` Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2002-07-25 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb, cgen

Andrew Cagney writes:
 > > I just checked out gdb_5_2_1-2002-07-23-release from the cvs tree.
 > >
 > > Question: Why are the cgen cpu files there but not cgen?
 >
 > Same reason GDB doesn't include autoconf, automake, gettext, bison, and
 > many other tools used to create generated files.  Not needed.

I recognize this.
But cgen isn't autoconf.  gdb/configure.in isn't shipped with autoconf.

I'm wondering if more changes are required or different rules are at play.
That's all.

Methinks apps shipping the .cpu files in src/cgen/cpu without cgen is fragile.
How fragile I dunno, but it is suspect.  Ergo my question.
[N.B. I'm not suggesting not shipping .cpu files.
Nor am I suggesting shipping the cgen *.scm files.
I'm just questioning the current situation.
As an example, one could move the .cpu files to a different dir.]

If I upgrade to autoconf 2.15, or some such, I don't expect any fundamental
change to gdb.  If I grab a copy of cgen off the net, it'll come with
the .cpu files.  All of a sudden my gdb 5.2 is now supporting the
foo and bar insns of the baz cpu (assuming one configures the tree with
--enable-cgen-maint or some such).
I suppose we could have two different cgen releases,
one with .cpu files (*1), one without.  [Or, for completeness' sake, cgen
could be instructed to use the .cpu files that came with the app, rather
than the ones that came with it, but that's clearly rather fragile.]

(*1): There's also .opc files.  I'm using ".cpu files" as a catch-all.
[One can certainly argue .opc files should live in opcodes, but that's
another discussion.]

Also, maybe now's the time to add version numbers to .cpu files.
That is also another discussion.

* Re: why cgen/cpu and not cgen in gdb_5_2_1-2002-07-23-release
@ 2002-08-01 16:21     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2002-08-01 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Evans; +Cc: gdb, cgen

> Andrew Cagney writes:
>  > > I just checked out gdb_5_2_1-2002-07-23-release from the cvs tree.
>  > >
>  > > Question: Why are the cgen cpu files there but not cgen?
>  >
>  > Same reason GDB doesn't include autoconf, automake, gettext, bison, and
>  > many other tools used to create generated files.  Not needed.
>
> I recognize this.
> But cgen isn't autoconf.  gdb/configure.in isn't shipped with autoconf.

True, gdb/configure is shipped with gdb/configure.in.  If you want to
generate a new gdb/configure then just the correct autoconf is needed.

> I'm wondering if more changes are required or different rules are at play.
> That's all.
>
> Methinks apps shipping the .cpu files in src/cgen/cpu without cgen is fragile.
> How fragile I dunno, but it is suspect.  Ergo my question.
> [N.B. I'm not suggesting not shipping .cpu files.
> Nor am I suggesting shipping the cgen *.scm files.
> I'm just questioning the current situation.
> As an example, one could move the .cpu files to a different dir.]

Moving the files to a different directory seems to make sense.

> If I upgrade to autoconf 2.15, or some such, I don't expect any fundamental
> change to gdb.  If I grab a copy of cgen off the net, it'll come with
> the .cpu files.  All of a sudden my gdb 5.2 is now supporting the
> foo and bar insns of the baz cpu (assuming one configures the tree with
> --enable-cgen-maint or some such).
> I suppose we could have two different cgen releases,
> one with .cpu files (*1), one without.  [Or, for completeness' sake, cgen
> could be instructed to use the .cpu files that came with the app, rather
> than the ones that came with it, but that's clearly rather fragile.]
>
> (*1): There's also .opc files.  I'm using ".cpu files" as a catch-all.
> [One can certainly argue .opc files should live in opcodes, but that's
> another discussion.]
>
> Also, maybe now's the time to add version numbers to .cpu files.
> That is also another discussion.

Yes.

Andrew