public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
* opc-file-path
@ 2008-09-15 13:28 Steve Woloschek
From: Steve Woloschek @ 2008-09-15 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

I am working on a port of a new processor core and have run into an
issue when running desc-cpu.c[c|h].

./desc-cpu.scm:1038:32: In expression (opc-file-path):
./desc-cpu.scm:1038:32: Unbound variable: opc-file-path

It appears the scripts assume there is an '[cpu].opc' file. I noticed
that several processors in the /cpu directory do not have a .opc file.

Any thoughts on how to get around this feature?

Thanks in advance for you help.

* Re: opc-file-path
@ 2008-09-15 15:53 ` Dave Brolley
From: Dave Brolley @ 2008-09-15 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Woloschek; +Cc: cgen

Steve Woloschek wrote:
> I am working on a port of a new processor core and have run into an
> issue when running desc-cpu.c[c|h].
>
> ./desc-cpu.scm:1038:32: In expression (opc-file-path):
> ./desc-cpu.scm:1038:32: Unbound variable: opc-file-path
>
> It appears the scripts assume there is an '[cpu].opc' file. I noticed
> that several processors in the /cpu directory do not have a .opc file.

The only one I ses is the cris.cpu file. The others are all part of
archirectures that do have a .opc file. Not sure why cris doesn't have
one. I've never tried to build it.
> Any thoughts on how to get around this feature?

I would suggest creating a minimal .opc file. $src/cgen/cpu/i960.opc
seems to be a minimal example you can clone. You can probably get rid of
the CGEN_PRINT_INSN macro and keep the rest. At some point you will
probably want to optimize the CGEN_DIS_HASH* macros for you particular port.

I hope this helps,
Dave

* Re: opc-file-path
@ 2008-09-15 22:26   ` Steve Woloschek
From: Steve Woloschek @ 2008-09-15 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

Dave,

Thanks for the quick response! I will create a minimal opc file for now,
but your response has me puzzled. In the 2 CVS trees where I have
looked(cgen and sid) there are several cpu's without .opc files.
Specifically, arm, ia32, sh and I do not see the cris.cpu.
I am a little new to this so I must be doing something fundamentally
wrong... I would appreciate any light you can shed on my situation...

Furthermore, which source repository is the 'official' copy. Are the
following two links sync'd at all?

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/cgen/cpu/?cvsroot=cgen

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/cgen/cpu/?cvsroot=sid

Steve

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 11:52 -0400, Dave Brolley wrote:
> Steve Woloschek wrote:
> > I am working on a port of a new processor core and have run into an
> > issue when running desc-cpu.c[c|h].
> >
> > ./desc-cpu.scm:1038:32: In expression (opc-file-path):
> > ./desc-cpu.scm:1038:32: Unbound variable: opc-file-path
> >
> > It appears the scripts assume there is an '[cpu].opc' file. I noticed
> > that several processors in the /cpu directory do not have a .opc file.
> >
> The only one I ses is the cris.cpu file. The others are all part of
> archirectures that do have a .opc file. Not sure why cris doesn't have
> one. I've never tried to build it.
> > Any thoughts on how to get around this feature?
> >
> I would suggest creating a minimal .opc file. $src/cgen/cpu/i960.opc
> seems to be a minimal example you can clone. You can probably get rid of
> the CGEN_PRINT_INSN macro and keep the rest. At some point you will
> probably want to optimize the CGEN_DIS_HASH* macros for you particular port.
>
> I hope this helps,
> Dave

* Re: opc-file-path
@ 2008-09-17 16:30     ` Dave Brolley
From: Dave Brolley @ 2008-09-17 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Woloschek; +Cc: cgen

Steve Woloschek wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Thanks for the quick response! I will create a minimal opc file for now,
> but your response has me puzzled. In the 2 CVS trees where I have
> looked(cgen and sid) there are several cpu's without .opc files.
> Specifically, arm, ia32, sh and I do not see the cris.cpu.
> I am a little new to this so I must be doing something fundamentally
> wrong... I would appreciate any light you can shed on my situation...

Sorry for the confusion. I was looking in $src/cpu and you're referring
to $src/cgen/cpu. These separate directories exist due to licensing and
copyright issues specific to the projects for which these ports were
created.

You are right that some of the .cpu ports do not seems to have
corresponding .opc files. It could be that the tools created by CGEN
from these do not require it. The .opc file is used to generate elements
the opcodes library for each port.

Dave