public inbox for cgen@sourceware.org
* moving define-full-foo to simplify.inc
@ 2009-07-15 17:38 Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2009-07-15 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgen

Hi.

What do folks think of moving define-full-foo to simplify.inc?

define-full-foo was originally added, mostly, so define-normal-foo could
use them.  But define-normal-foo could just as well invoke define-foo
directly.

Things get problematic if we ever add a new field to something,
(define-hardware or whatever), as then define-full-foo either has to
change (and all the targets that use it (*1)) or it becomes a misnomer.

At least with define-full-foo in simplify.inc it's no longer part of the
core description language, which feels cleaner.

(*1): Once all targets specify the description language version they
use, this isn't as big an issue, but moving define-full-foo out of the
core language and into a pmacro still feels cleaner.

Comments?

[This isn't something I plan to do soon (if ever even).  It crossed my
mind so I thought I'd send this out to at least get it written down.]

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-07-15 17:38 UTC | newest]