* Target libncurses Install
@ 2010-01-21 21:09 Doug Kehn
From: Doug Kehn @ 2010-01-21 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Hi All,

I'm using crosstools-ng-1.5.2 and the arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi sample.  I noticed that the target ncurses libraries aren't installed in the toolchain's sysroot directory.  Is there an explicit config item or an extra ct-ng step I missed?

My only other exposure is with crosstools-ng-1.4.1 and the armeb-unknown-linux-uclibc sample.  This combination installed the target ncurses libraries in the sysroot directory.

I just downloaded crosstools-ng-1.5.3.  I'm rebuilding the arm-crotex_a8-linux-gnueabi sample to see if the libraries are installed.  Since the build takes some time, I thought I'd ask to see what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do.

Thanks,
...doug

* Re: Target libncurses Install
@ 2010-01-21 21:25 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2010-01-21 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Doug Kehn

Hello Doug, All!

On Thursday 21 January 2010 22:09:11 Doug Kehn wrote:
> I noticed that the target ncurses libraries aren't installed in the
> toolchain's sysroot directory.  Is there an explicit config item or
> an extra ct-ng step I missed?

First, 1.5.3 is out, and it has a few fixes worth upgrading.

Second, in the 1.5 series, ncurses should still be installed in the sysroot,
see this code snippet from scripts/build/debug/300-gdb.sh :

---8<---
CT_DoLog EXTRA "Installing ncurses"
mkdir -p "${CT_SYSROOT_DIR}/usr/bin"
CT_DoExecLog ALL make DESTDIR="${CT_SYSROOT_DIR}" install
---8<---

Third, the ncurses build is just for internal use, as it is required to
build the native gdb (that runs on the target), beacause gdb has hard-
coded calls to some ncurses functions, and this is not de-configurable.
So the ncurses that crosstool-NG builds is not expected to be used by
anything else than crosstool-NG.

Fourth, the (upcoming) 1.6 series will no longer install the ncurses
library in the sysroot, and will link gdb statically against libncurses
(still keeping dynamic linking for the other libs, though).

> I just downloaded crosstools-ng-1.5.3.

Oh good! :-)

> Since the build takes some time, I thought I'd ask to see what I'm
> doing wrong or what I need to do.

Well, to do it right, you should not rely on the ncurses in the sysroot in
the first place, and use your own version.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.