* About native language support (nls)
@ 2011-11-16  8:18 Zhenqiang Chen
From: Zhenqiang Chen @ 2011-11-16  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

gcc and binutils disable nls. All other packages like gdb enable nls,
which will give different user experience for different tools in the
same toolchain.

Here is the comment in do_cc on why nls is disabled,
# --disable-nls to work around crash bug on ppc405, but also because
# embedded systems don't really need message catalogs...

But I think we'd provide a config for users to enable nls and for
cross and canadian build, the message is still useful, especially for
CJK users.

What do you think about?

Thanks!
-Zhenqiang

* Re: About native language support (nls)
@ 2011-11-16 19:23 ` Michael Hope
From: Michael Hope @ 2011-11-16 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhenqiang Chen; +Cc: crossgcc

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Zhenqiang Chen
<zhenqiang.chen@linaro.org> wrote:
> gcc and binutils disable nls. All other packages like gdb enable nls,
> which will give different user experience for different tools in the
> same toolchain.
>
> Here is the comment in do_cc on why nls is disabled,
> # --disable-nls to work around crash bug on ppc405, but also because
> # embedded systems don't really need message catalogs...
>
> But I think we'd provide a config for users to enable nls and for
> cross and canadian build, the message is still useful, especially for
> CJK users.
>
> What do you think about?

We (Linaro) want NLS for everything that runs on the host.  Could you
send a patch?  Might be easier to discuss.

-- Michael

* Re: About native language support (nls)
@ 2011-11-16 22:19 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2011-11-16 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Zhenqiang Chen

Zhenqiang, All,

On Wednesday 16 November 2011 09:18:33 Zhenqiang Chen wrote:
> gcc and binutils disable nls. All other packages like gdb enable nls,
> which will give different user experience for different tools in the
> same toolchain.
>
> Here is the comment in do_cc on why nls is disabled,
> # --disable-nls to work around crash bug on ppc405, but also because
> # embedded systems don't really need message catalogs...

Yes, this comment is probably wrong. It dates back to the early days of
crosstool-NG, even the original crosstool had it:
https://code.google.com/p/crosstool/source/browse/trunk/src/crosstool.sh#857

It might be possible to enable NLS, indeed. I never ever tried, because
I prefer to rely onthe original messages rather than their translations
(mostly because I'm used to the vocabulary used in english, and because
the french translation tend to be a little bit funky!).

> But I think we'd provide a config for users to enable nls and for
> cross and canadian build, the message is still useful, especially for
> CJK users.

I'm not an expert in i18n, so I gues CJK is Chinese-Japanese-Korean, right?
 - if that's because it's a different alphabet, CJK is not special; other
   languages use different alphabets: arabic, greek...
 - if that's because it's a right-to-left script, then CJK is not special
   either; other languages are also R2L: arabic (the only I know of, but
   undoubtly others).

So, I believe it could also make non-CJK users very happy! ;-)

> What do you think about?

I do believe this to be neither too invasive, not too complex to do; so
it will make for a nice addition. As Michael said: patch, please! :-)
As you suggested, this shoud be a config option.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.