* Adding new target
@ 2012-03-29 15:04 Michael Eager
From: Michael Eager @ 2012-03-29 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Hi --

I'm trying to add a new bare-metal target architecture to CT-NG.

I'm a bit confused by what is going on.  I'm building gcc-4.6.x
with Newlib.

Only the pass 2 gcc is being built, and this fails trying to
link libstdc++.  I see the same when I try to build an existing
target like ARM.

The standard way to build this kind of tool chain is to build
a no-library gcc, followed by building Newlib, then build a
final C/C++ using the library.

The comments in do_cc_core_pass_1() say that it is supposed
to build a static gcc, but this does not happen if CT_BARE_METAL = y.

Can someone explain what is supposed to happen?

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077

* Re: Adding new target
@ 2012-03-31 20:36 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2012-03-31 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Michael Eager

Michael, All,

On Thursday 29 March 2012 17:04:39 Michael Eager wrote:
> I'm trying to add a new bare-metal target architecture to CT-NG.
>
> I'm a bit confused by what is going on.  I'm building gcc-4.6.x
> with Newlib.
>
> Only the pass 2 gcc is being built, and this fails trying to
> link libstdc++.  I see the same when I try to build an existing
> target like ARM.

Can you post your changes (as a diff) and put your build.log on a website
so we can grab it?

> The standard way to build this kind of tool chain is to build
> a no-library gcc, followed by building Newlib, then build a
> final C/C++ using the library.
>
> The comments in do_cc_core_pass_1() say that it is supposed
> to build a static gcc, but this does not happen if CT_BARE_METAL = y.

In 1.14 and before, the bare-metal final compiler is built during the
core-pass-2 step, instead of the final step. This has changed in the
repository, where the correct ordering happens.

Currently, the existing bare-metal compilers are properly built (but I'm
running a build right now to check again). Please post the info listed above.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.