* Building the GCC manuals
       [not found] <887104308.780104.1336041292100.JavaMail.root@advansee.com>
@ 2012-05-03 10:39 ` Benoît Thébaudeau
From: Benoît Thébaudeau @ 2012-05-03 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crossgcc

Hi Yann, all,

I get random build issues for Linaro GCC if using parallel jobs, probably
because of some broken dependencies. It often fails at gcc.sh:795:
"CT_DoExecLog ALL make ${JOBSFLAGS} pdf html".

I was wondering: Why do you use ${JOBSFLAGS} here, but not on line 449:
"CT_DoExecLog ALL make pdf html"?

Best regards,
Benoît

* Re: Building the GCC manuals
@ 2012-05-03 11:10   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2012-05-03 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Benoît Thébaudeau

Benoît, All,

On Thursday 03 May 2012 12:41:20 Benoît Thébaudeau wrote:
> I get random build issues for Linaro GCC if using parallel jobs, probably
> because of some broken dependencies. It often fails at gcc.sh:795:
> "CT_DoExecLog ALL make ${JOBSFLAGS} pdf html".
>
> I was wondering: Why do you use ${JOBSFLAGS} here, but not on line 449:
> "CT_DoExecLog ALL make pdf html"?

Because I did not review the patch properly enough before I applied it? ;-)
  hg log -pvr 6c5658b8b588

Note the comment about not building in parallel for glibc, too.

Indeed, I remember a case where the manuals did not build, but as I did not
care about manuals at that time, I switched them off to continue debugging
what I was doing at the time, and did not check again later.

If disabling parallel jobs helps build the manuals, then by all means lets
disable parallel jobs when building manuals.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| --==< O_o >==-- '------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  /e\  There is no  |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |
'------------------------------'-------'------------------'--------------------'

* Re: Building the GCC manuals
@ 2012-05-09 11:12     ` Johannes Stezenbach
From: Johannes Stezenbach @ 2012-05-09 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crossgcc, Benoît Thébaudeau

Hi Yann,

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 01:10:15PM +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> On Thursday 03 May 2012 12:41:20 Benoît Thébaudeau wrote:
> > I get random build issues for Linaro GCC if using parallel jobs, probably
> > because of some broken dependencies. It often fails at gcc.sh:795:
> > "CT_DoExecLog ALL make ${JOBSFLAGS} pdf html".
> >
> > I was wondering: Why do you use ${JOBSFLAGS} here, but not on line 449:
> > "CT_DoExecLog ALL make pdf html"?
>
> Because I did not review the patch properly enough before I applied it? ;-)
>   hg log -pvr 6c5658b8b588
>
> Note the comment about not building in parallel for glibc, too.
>
> Indeed, I remember a case where the manuals did not build, but as I did not
> care about manuals at that time, I switched them off to continue debugging
> what I was doing at the time, and did not check again later.
>
> If disabling parallel jobs helps build the manuals, then by all means lets
> disable parallel jobs when building manuals.

FWIW, I'm seeing the same issue and the fix proposed
by Benoît fixes it for me, too.

Johannes

* Re: Building the GCC manuals
@ 2012-05-09 16:13       ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2012-05-09 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Johannes Stezenbach, Benoît Thébaudeau

Johannes, Benoît, All,

On Wednesday 09 May 2012 13:12:21 Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 May 2012 12:41:20 Benoît Thébaudeau wrote:
> > > I get random build issues for Linaro GCC if using parallel jobs, probably
> > > because of some broken dependencies. It often fails at gcc.sh:795:
> > > "CT_DoExecLog ALL make ${JOBSFLAGS} pdf html".
> > >
> > > I was wondering: Why do you use ${JOBSFLAGS} here, but not on line 449:
> > > "CT_DoExecLog ALL make pdf html"?
> FWIW, I'm seeing the same issue and the fix proposed
> by Benoît fixes it for me, too.

OK, I'll push a fix that disables // jobs when building the manuals.
Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.