* gcc for embedded linux
@ 2017-01-27 17:31 Thomas Schmiedl
From: Thomas Schmiedl @ 2017-01-27 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Hello,

I'm a newbie in cross-compiling and I'm not a developer. I hope someone
could help me in this issue.

I try to install the Python-software Octoprint (http://octoprint.org/)
on a mips-based router (Fritzbox) to control an USB-connected 3d-printer.

I cross-compiled Python 2.7.3 for mips with this tutorial:
http://www.embedded-hacking.com/index.php/python-f%C3%BCr-embedded-linux-kompilieren.html
and installed setuptools using this Python on the router. For the
Octoprint installation and the additional Python-packages is a gcc
required on the router. But there is no available on this embedded linux.

Is it possible to use this toolchain to cross compile a gcc for the
router (mips binary) to compile the Python-packages on the router?

Thanks for your help and best regards,

Thomas

* Re: gcc for embedded linux
@ 2017-01-28 21:33 ` Alexey Neyman
From: Alexey Neyman @ 2017-01-28 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schmiedl, crossgcc

Hi,

On 01/27/2017 05:08 AM, Thomas Schmiedl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie in cross-compiling and I'm not a developer. I hope
> someone could help me in this issue.
>
> I try to install the Python-software Octoprint (http://octoprint.org/)
> on a mips-based router (Fritzbox) to control an USB-connected 3d-printer.
>
> I cross-compiled Python 2.7.3 for mips with this tutorial:
> http://www.embedded-hacking.com/index.php/python-f%C3%BCr-embedded-linux-kompilieren.html
> and installed setuptools using this Python on the router. For the
> Octoprint installation and the additional Python-packages is a gcc
> required on the router. But there is no available on this embedded linux.
>
> Is it possible to use this toolchain to cross compile a gcc for the
> router (mips binary) to compile the Python-packages on the router?
You need to build a so called "cross-native" toolchain (i.e. native
toolchain built in a cross-compiling environment). Doing this is a
two-step process with crosstool-ng:

First, you need a "simple cross" toolchain. Apparently, you already have
it - it is the compiler/libraries that you used for building Python. Did
you build that toolchain yourself, or did it come with the router?

Second, the cross-native toolchain, it is a case of a "canadian cross".
Even though crosstool-ng has a separate option for "cross-native", I'd
recommend against using it - use more general "Canadian" as the
toolchain type (the "cross-native" option is marked experimental - it is
not very well tested at this time). You need to ensure that the the
compiler for the simple cross is in the $PATH, and configure the
toolchain with matching kernel/libc versions.

Regards,
Alexey.