* [Maybe a boring Question] Why not GIT?
@ 2013-08-08  1:48 goodmenlinux
From: goodmenlinux @ 2013-08-08  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

I found that github has ct-ng dir, but the latest update is 3 years ago.
Does this great project has any plan to use GIT?
Any comment on it?

--
Brock Zheng

Software Enginner

* Re: [Maybe a boring Question] Why not GIT?
@ 2013-08-08  5:36 ` Austin Morton
From: Austin Morton @ 2013-08-08  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goodmenlinux; +Cc: crossgcc

Brock,

Upon finding this great project I asked the maintainer the same thing in IRC.

His response was basically "but I know HG!"

I couldn't really argue with him other than to show him the plus sides
of git, but in the end he will use what he knows best.

If you are interested in making a contribution, I ended up using the
HG-to-git bridge, did my work in git, and then exported the patches
back to HG to make the patch sets.

Hope it help,
Austin

@ 2013-08-08  8:50   ` goodmenlinux
From: goodmenlinux @ 2013-08-08  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Morton; +Cc: crossgcc

Sent the mail again, last mail was rejected by crossgcc mail list.
Removed my company signature.

On 2013-08-08 01:36:38, Austin Morton wrote:
> Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 01:36:38 -0400
> From: Austin Morton <austinpmorton@gmail.com>
> To: "goodmenlinux@gmail.com" <goodmenlinux@gmail.com>
> Cc: "crossgcc@sourceware.org" <crossgcc@sourceware.org>
> Subject: Re: [Maybe a boring Question] Why not GIT?
>
> Brock,
>
> Upon finding this great project I asked the maintainer the same thing in IRC.
>
> His response was basically "but I know HG!"
>
> I couldn't really argue with him other than to show him the plus sides
> of git, but in the end he will use what he knows best.
>
> If you are interested in making a contribution, I ended up using the
> HG-to-git bridge, did my work in git, and then exported the patches
> back to HG to make the patch sets.

  Yes, I'm interesting to contribution for the project, but I
know nothing about Hg(Is it the only liquid metal in commen temperature?).

  In my way to GIT, I know it is very difficult(I use SVN+CVS previously).
But GIT is worthy for it's hard learning curve. I wish Yann E. MORIN may
adopt our advice one day.

@ 2013-08-08 12:12     ` ANDY KENNEDY
From: ANDY KENNEDY @ 2013-08-08 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'goodmenlinux@gmail.com', Austin Morton; +Cc: crossgcc

>   In my way to GIT, I know it is very difficult(I use SVN+CVS previously).
> But GIT is worthy for it's hard learning curve. I wish Yann E. MORIN may
> adopt our advice one day.

I wish Yann would give me 1,000,000 USD one day, but that probably won't
happen either.  Suck it up, learn to use HG.  It isn't that bad ;).

Andy

* Re: [Maybe a boring Question] Why not GIT?
@ 2013-08-08 13:02       ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2013-08-08 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

On 2013-08-08, ANDY KENNEDY <ANDY.KENNEDY@adtran.com> wrote:
>>   In my way to GIT, I know it is very difficult(I use SVN+CVS previously).
>> But GIT is worthy for it's hard learning curve. I wish Yann E. MORIN may
>> adopt our advice one day.
>
> I wish Yann would give me 1,000,000 USD one day, but that probably won't
> happen either.  Suck it up, learn to use HG.  It isn't that bad ;).

Version control systems are like programming languages.  The more of
them you know, the easier it is to learn the next one...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! My face is new, my
                                  at               license is expired, and I'm

* Re: [Maybe a boring Question] Why not GIT?
@ 2013-08-08 19:42 ` Yann E. MORIN
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2013-08-08 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goodmenlinux; +Cc: crossgcc

Brock, All,

On 2013-08-08 09:47 +0800, goodmenlinux@gmail.com spake thusly:
> I found that github has ct-ng dir, but the latest update is 3 years ago.
> Does this great project has any plan to use GIT?
> Any comment on it?

Oh... That's been a long time since that one came last...

OK, a bit of history:
  - first I slightly hacked on the original crosstool (then maintained
    by Dan Kegel), and there was no repository, only occasional tarball
    releases
  - then I hacked a bit more, and that eventually became crosstool-NG
  - this was done in subversion, since I was really comfortable with it
  - I eventually reached the limits of svn especially when I witnessed
    an unrecoverable repository crash twice in a row, with no apparent
    reason
  - I looked at the other existing possibilities (circa 2009-07):
    - cvs? Muahaha!
    - bazaar: you must be kidding me! ;-)
    - git: widespread, powerfull, yet very complex to get up to speed;
      one needs his flight license and 200h in active duty before beinf
      able to at least land a merge sanely.
    - Hg: repository set up and live in two hours, with no prior
      knowledge of a DVCS.
  - choice made: Hg that was to be.

Now, time has passed, I am now confident in my git abilities (although I
am far from being an expert). When I get some time, I'll migrate to git,
but there is n oschedule for this.

Anyway, there exist Hg <-> git converter, and one can even use git to
work with an Hg repository in the meantime.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* Re: [Maybe a boring Question] Why not GIT?
@ 2013-08-08 20:02   ` Austin Morton
From: Austin Morton @ 2013-08-08 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: goodmenlinux, crossgcc

Haza! Git has prevailed. All hail torvalds!

@ 2013-08-09  1:44   ` goodmenlinux
From: goodmenlinux @ 2013-08-09  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crossgcc

On 2013-08-08 21:42:44, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 21:42:44 +0200
> From: "Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@free.fr>
> To: goodmenlinux@gmail.com
> Cc: crossgcc@sourceware.org
> Subject: Re: [Maybe a boring Question] Why not GIT?
>
> Brock, All,
>
> On 2013-08-08 09:47 +0800, goodmenlinux@gmail.com spake thusly:
> > I found that github has ct-ng dir, but the latest update is 3 years ago.
> > Does this great project has any plan to use GIT?
> > Any comment on it?
>
> Oh... That's been a long time since that one came last...
>
> OK, a bit of history:
>   - first I slightly hacked on the original crosstool (then maintained
>     by Dan Kegel), and there was no repository, only occasional tarball
>     releases
>   - then I hacked a bit more, and that eventually became crosstool-NG
>   - this was done in subversion, since I was really comfortable with it
>   - I eventually reached the limits of svn especially when I witnessed
>     an unrecoverable repository crash twice in a row, with no apparent
>     reason
>   - I looked at the other existing possibilities (circa 2009-07):
>     - cvs? Muahaha!
>     - bazaar: you must be kidding me! ;-)
>     - git: widespread, powerfull, yet very complex to get up to speed;
>       one needs his flight license and 200h in active duty before beinf
>       able to at least land a merge sanely.
>     - Hg: repository set up and live in two hours, with no prior
>       knowledge of a DVCS.
>   - choice made: Hg that was to be.
>
> Now, time has passed, I am now confident in my git abilities (although I
> am far from being an expert). When I get some time, I'll migrate to git,
> but there is n oschedule for this.

  Great! I wish this great project will switch to git before GIT
fade out modern living. I'll do some works on ARM platform for
this project.

@ 2013-08-09  7:21   ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2013-08-09  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: goodmenlinux, crossgcc maillist

Hi Yann,

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
> Brock, All,
>
> On 2013-08-08 09:47 +0800, goodmenlinux@gmail.com spake thusly:
>> I found that github has ct-ng dir, but the latest update is 3 years ago.
>> Does this great project has any plan to use GIT?
>> Any comment on it?
>
> Oh... That's been a long time since that one came last...
>
> OK, a bit of history:
>   - first I slightly hacked on the original crosstool (then maintained
>     by Dan Kegel), and there was no repository, only occasional tarball
>     releases
>   - then I hacked a bit more, and that eventually became crosstool-NG
>   - this was done in subversion, since I was really comfortable with it
>   - I eventually reached the limits of svn especially when I witnessed
>     an unrecoverable repository crash twice in a row, with no apparent
>     reason
>   - I looked at the other existing possibilities (circa 2009-07):
>     - cvs? Muahaha!
>     - bazaar: you must be kidding me! ;-)
>     - git: widespread, powerfull, yet very complex to get up to speed;
>       one needs his flight license and 200h in active duty before beinf
>       able to at least land a merge sanely.
>     - Hg: repository set up and live in two hours, with no prior
>       knowledge of a DVCS.
>   - choice made: Hg that was to be.
>
> Now, time has passed, I am now confident in my git abilities (although I
> am far from being an expert). When I get some time, I'll migrate to git,
> but there is n oschedule for this.

You must me kidding me!

In fact, I was very happy to see that crosstool-ng was using hg
instead of git. The learning curve, documentation, and simplicity are
all positive points of hg, and (although I admit I haven't spend
enough time _trying_ to understand git) these are points in which git
seems to be lacking.
When I'm contributing to open-source projects using git, I use the
hg-git extension to convert it to hg and I send patches from there.
Surely the git people can do the same for this one hg project?

Anyway, feel free to migrate to git as you please, but do understand
that I will be forced to give you an angry look next time I see you!
;-)

Best regards,
Thomas

* Re: [Maybe a boring Question] Why not GIT?
@ 2013-08-09  7:40     ` goodmenlinux
From: goodmenlinux @ 2013-08-09  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas De Schampheleire; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN, crossgcc maillist

Hi, Thomas

    In my opinion, if the conversion tool is a perfect one,
there should be nothing meanful about this argument. If a gitweb
is created for the project, I will feel comfortable....

    I have nearly no knowledge on HG, so I have not many word
on this VCS. All of my knowledge of HG is:

        [brock_zheng@~ 15:37:12]$ pacman -Si mercurial
        Repository     : extra
        Name           : mercurial
        Version        : 2.7-1
        Description    : A scalable distributed SCM tool
        Architecture   : x86_64
        URL            : http://mercurial.selenic.com/
        Licenses       : GPL
        Groups         : None
        Provides       : None
        Depends On     : python2
        Optional Deps  : tk: for the hgk GUI
        Conflicts With : None
        Replaces       : None
        Download Size  : 2099.74 KiB
        Installed Size : 13083.00 KiB
        Packager       : Giovanni Scafora <giovanni@archlinux.org>
        Build Date     : Sat Aug 3 01:21:04 2013
        Validated By   : MD5 Sum  SHA256 Sum  Signature

@ 2013-08-09  7:47       ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2013-08-09  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goodmenlinux; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN, crossgcc maillist

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM,  <goodmenlinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Thomas
>
>     In my opinion, if the conversion tool is a perfect one,
> there should be nothing meanful about this argument. If a gitweb
> is created for the project, I will feel comfortable....
>
>     I have nearly no knowledge on HG, so I have not many word
> on this VCS.

Here are some good introductory links:
http://hginit.com
http://mercurial.selenic.com/quickstart/