* Announce: new maintainer
@ 2014-12-03  0:05 Yann E. MORIN
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2014-12-03  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crosstool-NG ML; +Cc: Bryan Hundven

Hello All!

TL;DR:
Starting now, Bryan Hundven is the new maintainer for crosstool-NG.

In the past 9 years I've been developping and maintaining crosstool-NG,
I have had the opportunity to share a lot of ideas and code with a lot
of you; I even had the opportunity to meet some of you in person.

That has been a wonderful adventure for me, and the first Free Software
project I was really involved with. It was something very much different
from my previous scarce contributions to a few other Free Software
projects, and I learned a lot.

But for quite some time now, I've been less and less active, to the
point of not even looking at contributions. That is bad, very bad from
me. If nothing else, that is at least the sign that something has broken
on my side. To say it bluntly, I'm no longer as much interested in
crosstool-NG as I used to be at the start. The Holy Fire is no longer
but mere sparks in a stash of cold ash.

This is the time I pass the torch on to someone else.

Letting go of something is not easy, even more so when a lot of time was
invested, like I did in crosstool-NG. I needed to find someone I would
trust with crosstool-NG like I would trust him with my house.

Bryan has been pretty active in crosstool-NG over the past years, and he
has contributed a lot of usefull patches, answered questions on the list
and overall has demonstrated a real interest about crosstool-NG and
keeping it alive and well.

I am thus very happy to accept his offer of helping with the maintenance
of the project. I am confident he will continue to make crosstool-NG a
relevant and user-friendly solution to build reliable cross toolchains.

I won't completely retire for now, if at least to assist Bryan in taking
over the server, and maybe I'll be better at being a simple contributor.

I wish Bryan all the best for his new responsibilities as maintainer,
and I want to thank him for all his contributions to the project and his
patience in the past months. Thank you, Bryan! :-)

I would also like to thank Dan Kegel for his astonishing work on the
original crosstool, on which crosstool-NG was initially based.

Last but not least, I would also like to thank all of you, contributing
code, helping on the mailing list and IRC, suggesting enhancements and
reporting bugs and providing feedback. I liked every part of it. :-)

Bryan, you're in command now. Take us to warp! :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* Re: Announce: new maintainer
@ 2014-12-03  0:31 ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2014-12-03  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crosstool-NG ML

Yann, List,

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> TL;DR:
> Starting now, Bryan Hundven is the new maintainer for crosstool-NG.
>

> In the past 9 years I've been developping and maintaining crosstool-NG,
> I have had the opportunity to share a lot of ideas and code with a lot
> of you; I even had the opportunity to meet some of you in person.
>
> That has been a wonderful adventure for me, and the first Free Software
> project I was really involved with. It was something very much different
> from my previous scarce contributions to a few other Free Software
> projects, and I learned a lot.
>
> But for quite some time now, I've been less and less active, to the
> point of not even looking at contributions. That is bad, very bad from
> me. If nothing else, that is at least the sign that something has broken
> on my side. To say it bluntly, I'm no longer as much interested in
> crosstool-NG as I used to be at the start. The Holy Fire is no longer
> but mere sparks in a stash of cold ash.
>
> This is the time I pass the torch on to someone else.
>
> Letting go of something is not easy, even more so when a lot of time was
> invested, like I did in crosstool-NG. I needed to find someone I would
> trust with crosstool-NG like I would trust him with my house.
>
> Bryan has been pretty active in crosstool-NG over the past years, and he
> has contributed a lot of usefull patches, answered questions on the list
> and overall has demonstrated a real interest about crosstool-NG and
> keeping it alive and well.
>
> I am thus very happy to accept his offer of helping with the maintenance
> of the project. I am confident he will continue to make crosstool-NG a
> relevant and user-friendly solution to build reliable cross toolchains.
>
> I won't completely retire for now, if at least to assist Bryan in taking
> over the server, and maybe I'll be better at being a simple contributor.
>
> I wish Bryan all the best for his new responsibilities as maintainer,
> and I want to thank him for all his contributions to the project and his
> patience in the past months. Thank you, Bryan! :-)
>
> I would also like to thank Dan Kegel for his astonishing work on the
> original crosstool, on which crosstool-NG was initially based.
>
> Last but not least, I would also like to thank all of you, contributing
> code, helping on the mailing list and IRC, suggesting enhancements and
> reporting bugs and providing feedback. I liked every part of it. :-)
>
> Bryan, you're in command now. Take us to warp! :-)

I'm excited to be at the helm, but I don't have any interest in making
any big changes at first besides revisiting what is in patchworks
(https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/crosstool-ng/list/). I will be
sending out replies to these emails/patches as I go through them to
apply them to the main repository. Stay tuned...

There are a few updates to the wiki to be made, among other administrivia.

If you have changes to crosstool-ng to submit or any issues, the
process is the same, except please send emails:
TO: crossgcc at sourceware dot org
CC: bryanhundven at gmail dot com

and I will respond as soon as possible. Documentation will reflect
this process update soon.

It might take me a little bit to ramp up to actually committing
changes to the repository as I get my environment setup properly. But
it shouldn't take too long.

Many thanks go to Yann E. MORIN, and past and future contributors.

Cheers,

-Bryan

> Regards,
> Yann E. MORIN.
>
> --
> .-----------------.--------------------.------------------.--------------------.
> |  Yann E. MORIN  | Real-Time Embedded | /"\ ASCII RIBBON | Erics' conspiracy: |
> | +33 662 376 056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
> | +33 223 225 172 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |
> | http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | _/*\_ | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |
> '------------------------------^-------^------------------^--------------------'

* Re: Announce: new maintainer
@ 2014-12-03 13:35 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-12-03 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crosstool-NG ML, Bryan Hundven

Yann,

On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 01:05:42 +0100, Yann E. MORIN wrote:

> But for quite some time now, I've been less and less active, to the
> point of not even looking at contributions. That is bad, very bad from
> me. If nothing else, that is at least the sign that something has broken
> on my side. To say it bluntly, I'm no longer as much interested in
> crosstool-NG as I used to be at the start. The Holy Fire is no longer
> but mere sparks in a stash of cold ash.
>
> This is the time I pass the torch on to someone else.
>
> Letting go of something is not easy, even more so when a lot of time was
> invested, like I did in crosstool-NG. I needed to find someone I would
> trust with crosstool-NG like I would trust him with my house.

While I certainly understand that letting its own project go is
difficult, I have to say your decision to pass over the maintenance of
Crosstool-NG to someone else is a very good decision. I was seeing you
becoming more and more active on Buildroot (and that's great!) but also
less and less active on Crosstool-NG: this is fine, it is normal that
things that motive us change over time.

However, I find that too many open-source maintainers don't realize
that by no longer being as motivated/available as they were originally,
they hurt the continuing development of their project. Taking a step
back and realizing this is not something all open-source maintainers
do, so I'm glad to see you took this step back, and happy to see another
active developer play the maintainer duties on Crosstool-NG.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* Re: Announce: new maintainer
@ 2014-12-03 13:48 ` Drasko DRASKOVIC
From: Drasko DRASKOVIC @ 2014-12-03 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crosstool-NG ML, Bryan Hundven

Hi Yann

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 1:05 AM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> TL;DR:
> Starting now, Bryan Hundven is the new maintainer for crosstool-NG.

Thank you for all your amazing work on ct-ng, which I consider to be
one of the most important OS projects in embedded world.

Congrats to Bryan, and I whish him a good luck!

Best regards,
Drasko