* kconfig
@ 2014-02-22  7:12 Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2014-02-22  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crossgcc maillist, Benoît THÉBAUDEAU

Yann, Benoît, all,

I use xubuntu on one computer and mac os x 10.9 on my mac book pro.
I like the idea of being able to build on my mac with the least number
of packages installed by homebrew.

I started down this path, and installed:
  * xcode
  * xcode command line tools
  * autoconf
  * automake
  * binutils
  * cvs
  * gawk
  * gnu-sed
  * libtool
  * wget

Which gets me to the point of being able to bootstrap the
configure.in, configure, and run make.

The part that really kills the build and perplexes me is kconfig.

http://code.bulix.org/qereby-85701

While trying to figure out the right fix to the problem, I noticed
that there are a *LOT* of differences between the kconfig in
crosstool-ng, buildroot and upstream linux, and Yann's
kconfig-frontends git tree
(http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/git/kconfig-frontends/).

It seems to me that we should follow buildroot's example of using a
'Makefile.ctng' in the kconfig directory to wrap the kconfig Makefile,
so that we can copy updates from upstream linux into the kconfig
directory without stomping on our own Makefile.

While trying to attempt, I started pulling on the thread of the
kconfig sweater in crosstool-ng, and it's a mess.

Just looking for opinions for the path forward with this.

Cheers,

-Bryan

* Re: kconfig
@ 2014-02-22 12:12 ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2014-02-22 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crossgcc maillist, Benoît THÉBAUDEAU

Yann, Benoît, all,

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Bryan Hundven <bryanhundven@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yann, Benoît, all,
>
> I use xubuntu on one computer and mac os x 10.9 on my mac book pro.
> I like the idea of being able to build on my mac with the least number
> of packages installed by homebrew.
>
> I started down this path, and installed:
>   * xcode
>   * xcode command line tools
>   * autoconf
>   * automake
>   * binutils
>   * cvs
>   * gawk
>   * gnu-sed
>   * libtool
>   * wget
>
> Which gets me to the point of being able to bootstrap the
> configure.in, configure, and run make.
>
> The part that really kills the build and perplexes me is kconfig.
>
> http://code.bulix.org/qereby-85701
>
> While trying to figure out the right fix to the problem, I noticed
> that there are a *LOT* of differences between the kconfig in
> crosstool-ng, buildroot and upstream linux, and Yann's
> kconfig-frontends git tree
> (http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/git/kconfig-frontends/).
>
> It seems to me that we should follow buildroot's example of using a
> 'Makefile.ctng' in the kconfig directory to wrap the kconfig Makefile,
> so that we can copy updates from upstream linux into the kconfig
> directory without stomping on our own Makefile.
>
> While trying to attempt, I started pulling on the thread of the
> kconfig sweater in crosstool-ng, and it's a mess.
>
> Just looking for opinions for the path forward with this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Bryan

I have a wip of porting upstream kconfig here:
https://bitbucket.org/bhundven/crosstool-ng-wip

It has errors with oldconfig, and there seems to be some kind of weird
config issue with glibc (in menuconfig).

So, now it's kind of an RFC/RFH (request for help). :)

-Bryan