* cavium support
@ 2014-12-09 20:47 Reinoud Koornstra
From: Reinoud Koornstra @ 2014-12-09 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Hi Everyone,

Are there any plans for cavium support?
Thanks,

Reinoud.

* Re: cavium support
@ 2014-12-09 22:04 ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2014-12-09 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reinoud Koornstra; +Cc: crossgcc

Reinoud,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Reinoud Koornstra
<reinoudkoornstra@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Are there any plans for cavium support?
> Thanks,

Personally, I don't have any problems with it. I don't have their
hardware to be able to test a toolchain with it. I know they have
mips, mips64, and now arm(?) platforms. If you have their hardware,
there is nothing stopping you from sending patches to crosstool-ng to
add support.

Cheers,

-Bryan

> Reinoud.
>
> --

* Re: cavium support
@ 2014-12-11  8:43   ` M P
From: M P @ 2014-12-11  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Hundven; +Cc: Reinoud Koornstra, crossgcc

On 9 December 2014 at 22:03, Bryan Hundven <bryanhundven@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reinoud,
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Reinoud Koornstra
> <reinoudkoornstra@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Are there any plans for cavium support?
> > Thanks,
>
> Personally, I don't have any problems with it. I don't have their
> hardware to be able to test a toolchain with it. I know they have
> mips, mips64, and now arm(?) platforms. If you have their hardware,
> there is nothing stopping you from sending patches to crosstool-ng to
> add support.

I have been building octeon 32/64 toolchains for the last couple of
years. What do you mean by 'support' Reinoud?

> Cheers,
>
> -Bryan
>
> > Reinoud.
> >
> > --

* Re: cavium support
@ 2014-12-11  9:13     ` Reinoud Koornstra
From: Reinoud Koornstra @ 2014-12-11  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M P; +Cc: Bryan Hundven, crossgcc

Well, when choosing the cpu type, cavium is not in the list of support cpu's.
Do you mean you set the cpu to mips 32 bits of 64 bits to support these cpu's?
Have you been building it in combination with uclibc or glibc?
Thanks,

Reinoud.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:43 AM, M P <buserror@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 December 2014 at 22:03, Bryan Hundven <bryanhundven@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Reinoud,
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Reinoud Koornstra
>> <reinoudkoornstra@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Everyone,
>> >
>> > Are there any plans for cavium support?
>> > Thanks,
>>
>> Personally, I don't have any problems with it. I don't have their
>> hardware to be able to test a toolchain with it. I know they have
>> mips, mips64, and now arm(?) platforms. If you have their hardware,
>> there is nothing stopping you from sending patches to crosstool-ng to
>> add support.
>

> I have been building octeon 32/64 toolchains for the last couple of
> years. What do you mean by 'support' Reinoud?

>> Cheers,
>>
>> -Bryan
>>
>> > Reinoud.
>> >
>> > --

* Re: cavium support
@ 2014-12-12 20:38       ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2014-12-12 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reinoud Koornstra; +Cc: M P, crossgcc

Reinoud,

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:13 AM, Reinoud Koornstra
<reinoudkoornstra@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, when choosing the cpu type, cavium is not in the list of support cpu's.
> Do you mean you set the cpu to mips 32 bits of 64 bits to support these cpu's?
> Have you been building it in combination with uclibc or glibc?
> Thanks,
>
> Reinoud.
>
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:43 AM, M P <buserror@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9 December 2014 at 22:03, Bryan Hundven <bryanhundven@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Reinoud,

>>> Personally, I don't have any problems with it. I don't have their
>>> hardware to be able to test a toolchain with it. I know they have
>>> mips, mips64, and now arm(?) platforms. If you have their hardware,
>>> there is nothing stopping you from sending patches to crosstool-ng to
>>> add support.
>>

>> I have been building octeon 32/64 toolchains for the last couple of
>> years. What do you mean by 'support' Reinoud?

As Mike suggested, there isn't a compiler option specific to
cavium/octeon to support this board.
However, you can just build a mips-unknown-linux-gnu or
mips64-unknown-linux-gnu, and it should work fine.

I remember building a mips64 toolchain with crosstool-ng in
2010/2011-ish for an octeon board and didn't have any issues.

Cheers,

-Bryan