* [CT-NG] Future of the project
@ 2012-03-31 22:28 Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2012-03-31 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Hello All!

I am happy to inform you about the future of the crosstool-NG project!

A little while ago, I've been approached by a company whiling to leverage
the code from crosstool-NG, and use it in their development process. As
such, they have hired me as Chief Toolchain Officer in charge of the
Departement of Tools and Compilation at Microsoft.

My first job in this position will be to add support for BSoD in crosstool-NG.
This is a daunting task, but one that I am eager to start working on. Next, I
will be in charge of pushing changes to gcc and glibc to support the Windows
Operating System, so that the full Microsoft stack can be build using a
toolchain using only GNU components.

I am really excited to enhance crosstool-NG with the goal to replace the
internal Microsoft tools. This really is a big challenge!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

PS. In case that was not obvious,
look at the current date. ;-)

* Re: [CT-NG] Future of the project
@ 2012-04-01 12:13 ` Martin Guy
From: Martin Guy @ 2012-04-01 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crossgcc

On 1 April 2012 00:28, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
> they have hired me as Chief Toolchain Officer in charge of the
> Departement of Tools and Compilation at Microsoft.

A few years back, someone published a similar AF for the Glasgow
Haskell Compiler (GHC) saying that it was going to become a Microsoft
product.
  A couple of months later, Simon Peyton-Jones, their leading light,
sold out to Microsoft Research, taking GHC and its development with
him. I later attended a Haskell seminar in which the presentation
about Reliable Software in Haskell couldn't use their slides because
were trying to run their "reliable software" on a Windows laptop. I
had to laugh!
  Later, GHC then became the first Debian package that couldn't be
compiled on ARM because the code segment of its executable file was
larger than 32MB. I had to cry!

So good luck! I look forward to the "Build GHC" checkbox ;-)

(Actually, it would be quite cool if you were given that honour! :)