* Building a backwards compatible toolchain.
@ 2014-10-14 21:57 ANDY KENNEDY
From: ANDY KENNEDY @ 2014-10-14 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'crossgcc@sourceware.org'

All,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyways.

Is it possible to build a toolchain that will run on machines with
kernels that are older (say, 2.6.18) using the existing ct-ng?

I have a way to do it through building a chroot, jumping into that, then
building ct-ng based upon that temporary toolchain but I'd rather not go
through that pain.

My problem is no standardization of the host machines, but the desire to
build the toolchain from an arbitrary host.

Thanks,
Andy

* Re: Building a backwards compatible toolchain.
@ 2014-10-15  0:00 ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2014-10-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ANDY KENNEDY; +Cc: crossgcc

Andy,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM, ANDY KENNEDY <ANDY.KENNEDY@adtran.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyways.
>
> Is it possible to build a toolchain that will run on machines with
> kernels that are older (say, 2.6.18) using the existing ct-ng?
>
> I have a way to do it through building a chroot, jumping into that, then
> building ct-ng based upon that temporary toolchain but I'd rather not go
> through that pain.
>
> My problem is no standardization of the host machines, but the desire to
> build the toolchain from an arbitrary host.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Out of curiosity, are you by any chance looking for a toolchain to
support the 2.6.4 xenomai kernel? Or is this just for compatibility
for an older system?

If it's the later, you could checkout a branch of an older version of
crosstool-ng. Now easier with git: git checkout -b
branchforoldersupport 1.2

-Bryan

* Re: Building a backwards compatible toolchain.
@ 2014-10-15 10:11   ` Mauro Condarelli
From: Mauro Condarelli @ 2014-10-15 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Nice try ;)
I'm in the same predicament (need to support an old 2.6.32.12 based system).
Unfortunately that branch is not functional:

[EXTRA]    Re-building autotools files
[DEBUG]    ==> Executing: 'autoreconf -fi'
[ALL  ]    aclocal: warning: autoconf input should be named
'configure.ac', not 'configure.in'
[ERROR]    configure.in:233: error: automatic de-ANSI-fication support
has been removed
[ALL  ]    /usr/share/aclocal-1.14/obsolete.m4:26: AM_C_PROTOTYPES is
expanded from...
[ALL  ]    configure.in:233: the top level
[ALL  ]    autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
[ERROR]    aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
[ALL  ]    autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

I will try some more recent branch to see if some is functional.
I will report here findings.

Regards
Mauro

@ 2014-10-15 15:57   ` ANDY KENNEDY
From: ANDY KENNEDY @ 2014-10-15 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bryan Hundven'; +Cc: crossgcc

> > My problem is no standardization of the host machines, but the desire to
> > build the toolchain from an arbitrary host.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andy
>
> Out of curiosity, are you by any chance looking for a toolchain to
> support the 2.6.4 xenomai kernel? Or is this just for compatibility
> for an older system?

Just compatibility.  The trick is that some of us are using a newer
distro (my case, Slackware64 14.1), while others are still on Ubuntu
12.04 (and one even on 10.xx).  The 10.xx has a kernel version of
2.6.35....

> If it's the later, you could checkout a branch of an older version of
> crosstool-ng. Now easier with git: git checkout -b
> branchforoldersupport 1.2

Eh, I need to stay with the current stuff as I have patches for some of
the various tools against 1.19.0.  So, this suggestion would not work
for me without OTHER serious work.

@ 2014-10-15 16:05     ` ANDY KENNEDY
From: ANDY KENNEDY @ 2014-10-15 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'mc5686@mclink.it', crossgcc

Mauro,

Perhaps you can attempt what I was planning to do:

Build Buildroot with the following settings enabled:

target = i486, or if you have at least a minimum support of 64-bit, that
would be better

Linux kernel headers of something REALLY old (like 2.6.18)

Build a fully functional busybox

build BASH (you may have to enable the show things that are supported by
busybox option).

build the toolchain for the target

So that you don't have to use root privs, use the output/target
directory as the location of the toolchain (as I don't think ct-ng
attempts to do direct access on anything in /dev).

cp ct-ng into that target directory

chroot into that target directory

build ct-ng.

This is what I'm planning to do (in a nutshell).  So, if you want to
attempt it, I'll start on this later today and then perhaps I'll be able
to assist you.

Andy