public inbox for cygwin-announce@cygwin.com
* [test] fish 3.6.1-2
@ 2023-04-26 10:40 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2023-04-26 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-announce

fish 3.6.1-2 is now available in Cygwin as a TEST release.

This release moves fish's universal variable files from its previous,
Cygwin-specific location (~/.config/fish/fish_variables.x86_64) to fish'
standard location (~/.config/fish/fish_variables). I've tested the migration
on my hosts, and it works for me, but I'd like to hear from other users
whether it works for them too, before I make the feature generally
available.

# Testing

Please test this release! It's pretty easy:

1. Back up your universal variables file
(~/.config/fish/fish_variables.x86_64) if you want to be sure, just in case
it should be lost.

2. Before you update, start fish and set a universal variable that you can
test after the migration, for example

    set -U migrated

3. Install the test release of fish.

4. Start fish.

If the migration was successful:

* You should see a migration message like this from fish, just one time:

    Migrated /home/andrew/.config/fish/fish_variables.x86_64 ->
/home/andrew/.config/fish/fish_variables

* The variable you set above should still be set. So for example

    set -q migrated; and echo success; or echo failed

  should echo "success".

* Output of `ls ~/.config/fish` should include fish_variables, and not
  fish_variables.x86_64.

Please report here whether the above worked for you, and any error messages
you might see.

# Why we're doing this

In the past when Cygwin supported two architectures (i686 and x86_64), fish
kept separate universal variables files for the two architectures. Now that
only one architecture is supported, there's no need to do that anymore, and
there's some advantage to moving the file back to where vanilla fish expects
to find it.

# About fish

fish is the friendly interactive shell. It's a Unix shell that focuses on
interactive use, discoverability, and user friendliness. The design goal of
fish is to give the user a rich set of powerful features in a way that is
easy to discover, remember, and use.

Home page: https://fishshell.com

Andrew E. Schulman

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-04-26 10:40 UTC | newest]