public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)
       [not found] <00d101d37b54$5d9b3b40$18d1b1c0$@tu-dresden.de>
@ 2017-12-22 18:49 ` Stefan Köpsell
From: Stefan Köpsell @ 2017-12-22 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hello,

I am interested in becoming a package maintainer for the Mini-XML library
(http://michaelrsweet.github.io/mxml/).

Mini-XML is a small XML parsing library  that you can use to read XML and
XML-like data files in your application without requiring large non-standard
libraries.

The Mini-XML library is part of many Linux distributions like:

Debian - https://packages.debian.org/de/stretch/libmxml-dev
Fedora - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/package/rpms/mxml/
Suse - https://software.opensuse.org/package/mxml
Arch - https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/mxml/
Gentoo - https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/dev-libs/mini-xml

I have tried to make a first package and uploaded it here:
https://sk13.xyz:45443/cygwin/x86/libmxml-dev/

I would be thankful for any hints regarding issues / quality improvements
with this package.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Stefan Köpsell

* Re: [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)
@ 2017-12-22 20:36   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2017-12-22 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2017-12-22 12:49, Stefan Köpsell wrote:
> I am interested in becoming a package maintainer for the Mini-XML library
> (http://michaelrsweet.github.io/mxml/).
>
> Mini-XML is a small XML parsing library  that you can use to read XML and
> XML-like data files in your application without requiring large non-standard
> libraries.

Do you plan on ITPing something which uses this?  A library by itself is
of little use.

> I have tried to make a first package and uploaded it here:
> https://sk13.xyz:45443/cygwin/x86/libmxml-dev/
>
> I would be thankful for any hints regarding issues / quality improvements
> with this package.

Several problems:

* The source package (NAME) should be name mxml;
* A shared library should be created (pass --enable-shared to cygconf);
* Static libraries are not generally desired;
* There should be 2-3 subpackages, mxml with any program/utilties,
libmxml1 with the runtime library, and libmxml-devel (not -dev) with the
headers, import library, etc.

--
Yaakov

* AW: [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)
@ 2017-12-30 13:02     ` Stefan Köpsell
From: Stefan Köpsell @ 2017-12-30 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Yaakov Selkowitz', cygwin-apps

Hello,

thanks for your advice.

> Do you plan on ITPing something which uses this?  A library by itself is of little use.
Hm, not at the moment. But several of our projects depend on the library - and it makes contributing more easy, if the library is available as Cygwin package.

>Several problems:

>* The source package (NAME) should be name mxml;
>* A shared library should be created (pass --enable-shared to cygconf);
>* Static libraries are not generally desired;
>* There should be 2-3 subpackages, mxml with any program/utilties,
>ibmxml1 with the runtime library, and libmxml-devel (not -dev) with the headers, import library, etc.

There a now two packages: one containing the shared library and the other containing the development files
See: https://sk13.xyz:45443/cygwin/x86/

Sincerely,
Stefan
On 2017-12-22 12:49, Stefan Köpsell wrote:
> I am interested in becoming a package maintainer for the Mini-XML
> library (http://michaelrsweet.github.io/mxml/).
>
> Mini-XML is a small XML parsing library  that you can use to read XML
> and XML-like data files in your application without requiring large
> non-standard libraries.

Do you plan on ITPing something which uses this?  A library by itself is of little use.

> I have tried to make a first package and uploaded it here:
> https://sk13.xyz:45443/cygwin/x86/libmxml-dev/
>
> I would be thankful for any hints regarding issues / quality
> improvements with this package.

Several problems:

* The source package (NAME) should be name mxml;
* A shared library should be created (pass --enable-shared to cygconf);
* Static libraries are not generally desired;
* There should be 2-3 subpackages, mxml with any program/utilties,
libmxml1 with the runtime library, and libmxml-devel (not -dev) with the headers, import library, etc.

--
Yaakov

* Re: AW: [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)
@ 2018-01-09 18:52 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-01-09 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Stefan Köpsell writes:
> I kindly want to ask if there are any further comments and suggestions.

I think the remaining question was this:

> Do you plan on ITPing something which uses this?  A library by itself
> is of little use.

Which is probably something you might have an answer to…

Regards,
Achim.

* AW: [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)
@ 2018-01-09  7:07 Stefan Köpsell
From: Stefan Köpsell @ 2018-01-09  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Yaakov Selkowitz', cygwin-apps

Hello,

I kindly want to ask if there are any further comments and suggestions.

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Stefan

Hello,