public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* How to avoid tying up scallywag
@ 2023-03-19 23:04 Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-03-19 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Jon,

I'll be ready to go with TeX Live 2023 in a couple days.  That involves
about 60 packages.  If I push them all at once, I'm afraid that would
tie up scallywag and make it unusable by others.  I was thinking of
pushing them in batches of 5, with a couple hours in between batches.
But I don't know how many jobs scallywag can do at once.  What do you think?

Ken

* Re: How to avoid tying up scallywag
@ 2023-03-20  3:48 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2023-03-20  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 12:04 AM Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps
<cygwin-apps@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Jon,
>
> I'll be ready to go with TeX Live 2023 in a couple days.  That involves
> about 60 packages.  If I push them all at once, I'm afraid that would
> tie up scallywag and make it unusable by others.  I was thinking of
> pushing them in batches of 5, with a couple hours in between batches.
> But I don't know how many jobs scallywag can do at once.  What do you think?
>
> Ken

It is very easy in reality. Jon will surely implement the "nice" token
to lower the priority of your jobs
;-)

No preference for me , as I am out of service.

Regards
Marco

* Re: How to avoid tying up scallywag
@ 2023-03-20 11:22 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-03-20 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown, cygwin-apps

On 19/03/2023 23:04, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Jon,
>
> I'll be ready to go with TeX Live 2023 in a couple days.  That involves
> about 60 packages.  If I push them all at once, I'm afraid that would
> tie up scallywag and make it unusable by others.  I was thinking of
> pushing them in batches of 5, with a couple hours in between batches.
> But I don't know how many jobs scallywag can do at once.  What do you
> think?

As far as I can tell, the documented limits for the GitHub free service
currently used are currently:

* 20 concurrent jobs
* runs which are queued for more than 45 minutes without starting are
discarded.

The implementation of how the build back-end is used in scallywag is
moderately modularized, so if these restrictions become irksome, and we
ever have access to a better compute service, that could be used instead.

Note that if you are just updating the repository, without using
scallywag to deploy, then pushing with --push-option=nobuild is more
slightly more efficient that SCALLYWAG="nobuild" in the cygport, as it
can short-cut things, since it doesn't need to start a job to evaluate
the tokens to determine if nobuild is set.

* Re: How to avoid tying up scallywag
@ 2023-03-20 13:14   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-03-20 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney, cygwin-apps

On 3/20/2023 7:22 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 19/03/2023 23:04, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Jon,
>>
>> I'll be ready to go with TeX Live 2023 in a couple days.  That
>> involves about 60 packages.  If I push them all at once, I'm afraid
>> that would tie up scallywag and make it unusable by others.  I was
>> thinking of pushing them in batches of 5, with a couple hours in
>> between batches. But I don't know how many jobs scallywag can do at
>> once.  What do you think?
>
> As far as I can tell, the documented limits for the GitHub free service
> currently used are currently:
>
> * 20 concurrent jobs
> * runs which are queued for more than 45 minutes without starting are
> discarded.

So I should even be able to do 10 or 15 at once without clogging the
system.  Maybe I'll start with one batch of 15 and see what happens.

> The implementation of how the build back-end is used in scallywag is
> moderately modularized, so if these restrictions become irksome, and we
> ever have access to a better compute service, that could be used instead.
>

> Note that if you are just updating the repository, without using
> scallywag to deploy, then pushing with --push-option=nobuild is more
> slightly more efficient that SCALLYWAG="nobuild" in the cygport, as it
> can short-cut things, since it doesn't need to start a job to evaluate
> the tokens to determine if nobuild is set.

Good to know, but in the present case I'm planning to deploy.

Ken