public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* ITP man-pages-linux
@ 2021-03-09 14:44 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-03-09 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi folks,

Michael Kerrisk released Linux man-pages 5.10 update in December.
Any interest in a man-pages-linux ITP?
I'll be doing it for my own use anyway, just to save flipping to Linux if I'm
working in Cygwin or Windows.

* Re: ITP man-pages-linux
@ 2021-03-09 15:36 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2021-03-09 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi Brian,

On Mar  9 07:44, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Michael Kerrisk released Linux man-pages 5.10 update in December.
> Any interest in a man-pages-linux ITP?
> I'll be doing it for my own use anyway, just to save flipping to Linux if
> I'm working in Cygwin or Windows.

Please feel free to take over maintainership.  I'll change the
cygwin-pkg-maint file accordingly, so you can upload, ok?

Thanks,
Corinna

* Re: ITP man-pages-linux
@ 2021-03-09 17:33   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-03-09 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-03-09 08:36, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On Mar  9 07:44, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Michael Kerrisk released Linux man-pages 5.10 update in December.
>> Any interest in a man-pages-linux ITP?
>> I'll be doing it for my own use anyway, just to save flipping to Linux if
>> I'm working in Cygwin or Windows.
>
> Please feel free to take over maintainership.  I'll change the
> cygwin-pkg-maint file accordingly, so you can upload, ok?

I assume you meant to reply to my man-pages-posix update FYI,
so I am happy to do so as suggested.

But this ITP is for the official Linux LDP man pages project also by Michael
Kerrisk, for those who are concerned about interoperability and portability.

* [ITP] man-pages-linux 5.13
@ 2021-08-31 21:11   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-31 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi folks,

I would like to provide Cygwin packages for the Linux kernel man pages
project, for those who are concerned about interoperability and
portability, from Michael Kerrisk (http://man7.org/), who also releases
man-pages-posix, and just released Linux man-pages 5.13.

I do it for my own use anyway, to have the latest docs, just to save
flipping to Linux from Cygwin or Windows.

Comments, feedback, issues, opinions, thoughts, suggestions?

I have other approaches I could consider for others' convenience:

* the standard approach where each new release of man-pages-linux
obsoletes the previous; or

* allowing parallel installs with each release under it's own versioned
package man-pages-linux-5.?? and subdirectory and postinstall symlink
linux to the last installed; or

* use update-alternatives to select the release, with the default the
highest version as usual?

Comments, feedback, issues, opinions, thoughts, suggestions?

The install location is under the standard /usr/share/man/linux{,-5.??}
which can only by default be used by specifying

	$ man -m|--systems linux ...

but can also be added explicitly to a users MANPATH or alias e.g.

	$ alias man='man -m man,linux'

or swap the order to prioritize Linux, or for parallel installs add each
in your preferred order.

Comments, feedback, issues, opinions, thoughts, suggestions?

I have Linux 5.05-5.13 packages available for review as man-pages-linux:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1r3vhlN4fsCAGAtxpVD9PJPVpahCmnIPE

Comments, feedback, issues, opinions, thoughts, suggestions?

If there is sufficient interest in other man-pages-* packages that I
could contemplate offering similarly, I also have kept around *a*
release of each of the below currently linked under my
/usr/local/share/man/ and others may be available including HOW-TOs:

CentOS-7.1      Darwin-7.0.1    HP-UX-11.22     RedHat-9-i386
SunOS-5.10	Suse-11.3
FreeBSD-12-current      FreeBSD-ports-11.1-RELEASE      NetBSD-7.1
OpenBSD-6.2
X11R7.4

although I am unsure about the availability of releases for some.

Comments, feedback, issues, opinions, thoughts, suggestions?