public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* PCRE2 interim release 2 requested to support grep 3.11
@ 2023-05-14 18:02 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-05-14 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi folks,

Because of issues with the current release of PCRE2 Unicode matching in latest
grep 3.11 release reverting to ASCII only matches for some patterns, it would be
good to have an updated interim Cygwin release 2 of PCRE2 10.42+ available
incorporating PCRE2_EXTRA_ASCII_... changes, and for PCRE2_MATCH_INVALID_UTF,
between Feb 1 and April 21, submitted by Carlo Arenas for pcre2 and grep.

This would address grep 3.11 release announcement issue:

	https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2023-05/msg00004.html
	https://savannah.gnu.org/news/?id=10364

"This release makes PCRE patterns like [\d] work again, at the expense of
reverting to the behavior of grep 3.8, in that patterns like \w and \b go back
to using ASCII rather than Unicode interpretations.
However, if you build grep using pcre2 newer than 10.42, then \w and \b do work
properly."

Otherwise we could not upgrade grep until pcre2 10.43 is released.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: PCRE2 interim release 2 requested to support grep 3.11
@ 2023-05-20 18:16 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2023-05-20 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps writes:
> Because of issues with the current release of PCRE2 Unicode matching
> in latest grep 3.11 release reverting to ASCII only matches for some
> patterns, it would be good to have an updated interim Cygwin release 2
> of PCRE2 10.42+ available incorporating PCRE2_EXTRA_ASCII_... changes,
> and for PCRE2_MATCH_INVALID_UTF, between Feb 1 and April 21, submitted
> by Carlo Arenas for pcre2 and grep.

That patch set is apparently still not merged upstream and other work in
this area is still going on, so I don't think it's wise to jump the gun.

[…]
> Otherwise we could not upgrade grep until pcre2 10.43 is released.

Yes, we can just wait for uptstream to sort things out.

--

Achim.

* Re: PCRE2 interim release 2 requested to support grep 3.11
@ 2023-05-20 20:48   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-05-20 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2023-05-20 12:16, Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> Because of issues with the current release of PCRE2 Unicode matching
>> in latest grep 3.11 release reverting to ASCII only matches for some
>> patterns, it would be good to have an updated interim Cygwin release 2
>> of PCRE2 10.42+ available incorporating PCRE2_EXTRA_ASCII_... changes,
>> and for PCRE2_MATCH_INVALID_UTF, between Feb 1 and April 21, submitted
>> by Carlo Arenas for pcre2 and grep.
>
> That patch set is apparently still not merged upstream and other work in
> this area is still going on, so I don't think it's wise to jump the gun.

It appears that carenas has applied the patches to pcre2 and grep to "fix" the
issue in either case by testing the pcre2 implementation during configuration.

>> Otherwise we could not upgrade grep until pcre2 10.43 is released.

> Yes, we can just wait for uptstream to sort things out.

Given that there are currently grep -P bugs in 3.10 "fixed" in 3.11, should we
then revert grep -P to 3.8 level, drop Unicode pattern support, and support only
ASCII?
It is unclear to me from the description if only the escape sequence patterns
are affected, or also the [[:...:]] character and [[=?=]] equivalence classes,
and Unicode properties \p{prop} \P{prop}?

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry