public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Re: some libunistring 1.0 tests are core dumping on github build
@ 2022-10-30 15:56 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-10-30 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: waterlan

On Wed, 19 Oct 2022 16:55:43 +0200 (CEST), Erwin Waterlander wrote:
> I uploaded a new cyport file for libunistring 1.0. I got a failed build,
> because several tests core dumped. This does not happen when I run the tests
> on my PC. What to do next?

> See https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/3252280207

I recently did personal local and Scallywag builds of libunistring to check
updated Unicode support for my package builds: see libunistring DEPENDENCIES and
HACKING for build and test prereqs.
I decided to build and package embedded unistring (from updated gnulib included
in package) for updated Unicode support.

Missing DEPEND/BUILD_REQUIRES definitions in libunistring.cygport gives prereq
packages required which will be pre-installed to build and test under Scallywag:

# old var
DEPEND="libiconv-devel"
DEPEND+=" autoconf automake diffutils gawk gcc-core gperf grep"
DEPEND+=" m4 make perl pkg-config sed texinfo-tex texlive"

or

# new var
BUILD_REQUIRES="libiconv-devel"
BUILD_REQUIRES+=" autoconf automake diffutils gawk gcc-core gperf grep"
BUILD_REQUIRES+=" m4 make perl pkg-config sed texinfo-tex texlive"

Only some standard prereq packages (like "build-essential") are pre-installed as
cygport dependencies that it uses and knows its cygparts and cygclasses need
like autotools binutils coreutils, etc.

But it's good practice to define *ALL* the Cygwin packages containing specified
prereq devel libraries and build tools required to build and test the package
(and subpackages).

You also have to install and define any perl, python, ruby, etc. module packages
required at build *OR* runtime so cygport can identify them correctly and you
don't then need to manually specify REQUIRES=... module packages.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: some libunistring 1.0 tests are core dumping on github build
@ 2022-10-30 13:15 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-10-30 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ,Erwin Waterlander, cygwin-apps

On 19/10/2022 15:55, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a new cyport file for libunistring 1.0. I got a failed build, because several tests core dumped. This does not happen when I run the tests on my PC. What to do next?
>
> See https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/3252280207

Interesting.

The builddir artefact should contain the entire build directory,
including any .stackdump files generated, which might give some insight.

* some libunistring 1.0 tests are core dumping on github build
@ 2022-10-19 14:55 Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2022-10-19 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi,

I uploaded a new cyport file for libunistring 1.0. I got a failed build, because several tests core dumped. This does not happen when I run the tests on my PC. What to do next?

See https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/3252280207

regards,

Erwin Waterlander