public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITCM] bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed
@ 2021-08-10  5:47 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-10  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi folks,

Once again been looking over commonly used outdated packages I use
frequently which need upgraded and picked another few of Eric Blake's I
would like to request to co-maintain and upgrade as they are a few years
old.

Attn: Eric Blake - advice, comments, concurrence or objections to my
co-maintaining the packages for bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed?

I am as usual dogfooding these, including rerunning the builds and
checks after local installs on both arches, but would appreciate any
advice about whether any or all of these should be test releases (e.g.
readline) before upgrading stable releases (given some recent issues I
caused) or other comments or suggestions.

These builds have all been tested in the git-cygwin-package playground
repo; see:

	https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=3148..3151,3154-3156

commit links show the package and log links show the results.

[I am working up to looking at dealing with bash and/or coreutils: any
suggestions for less significant packages to tackle for more experience
upgrading packages needing Cygwin tweaks would be welcome! ;^>]

* Re: [ITCM] bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed
@ 2021-08-11 20:21 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-08-11 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 10.08.2021 07:47, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Once again been looking over commonly used outdated packages I use
> frequently which need upgraded and picked another few of Eric Blake's I
> would like to request to co-maintain and upgrade as they are a few years
> old.
>
> Attn: Eric Blake - advice, comments, concurrence or objections to my
> co-maintaining the packages for bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed?

added Eric in CC

> I am as usual dogfooding these, including rerunning the builds and
> checks after local installs on both arches, but would appreciate any
> advice about whether any or all of these should be test releases (e.g.
> readline) before upgrading stable releases (given some recent issues I
> caused) or other comments or suggestions.
>
> These builds have all been tested in the git-cygwin-package playground
> repo; see:
>
>      https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=3148..3151,3154-3156
>
> commit links show the package and log links show the results.
>
> [I am working up to looking at dealing with bash and/or coreutils: any
> suggestions for less significant packages to tackle for more experience
> upgrading packages needing Cygwin tweaks would be welcome! ;^>]

I assume the previous answer from Eric is also valid here
so I added Brian as co-maintainer

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ITCM] bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed
@ 2021-08-12  4:33   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-12  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-08-11 14:21, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 10.08.2021 07:47, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Once again been looking over commonly used outdated packages I use
>> frequently which need upgraded and picked another few of Eric Blake's
>> I would like to request to co-maintain and upgrade as they are a few
>> years old.
>>
>> Attn: Eric Blake - advice, comments, concurrence or objections to my
>> co-maintaining the packages for bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed?
>
> added Eric in CC

BCC?

>> I am as usual dogfooding these, including rerunning the builds and
>> checks after local installs on both arches, but would appreciate any
>> advice about whether any or all of these should be test releases (e.g.
>> readline) before upgrading stable releases (given some recent issues I
>> caused) or other comments or suggestions.
>>
>> These builds have all been tested in the git-cygwin-package playground
>> repo; see:
>>
>>      https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=3148..3151,3154-3156
>>
>> commit links show the package and log links show the results.
>>
>> [I am working up to looking at dealing with bash and/or coreutils: any
>> suggestions for less significant packages to tackle for more
>> experience upgrading packages needing Cygwin tweaks would be welcome!
>> ;^>]
>
> I assume the previous answer from Eric is also valid here
> so I added Brian as co-maintainer

Thanks Marco

I will push each package's updated .cygport to init each package's
git-cygwin-package repo, on the playground branch, so builds can be
reviewed, and any feedback or suggestions given, as these packages'
functioning are fairly core and some are Base packages required in all
Cygwin installations.

* Re: [ITCM] bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed
@ 2021-08-12  6:54     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-08-12  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 12.08.2021 06:33, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-08-11 14:21, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 10.08.2021 07:47, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Once again been looking over commonly used outdated packages I use
>>> frequently which need upgraded and picked another few of Eric Blake's
>>> I would like to request to co-maintain and upgrade as they are a few
>>> years old.
>>>
>>> Attn: Eric Blake - advice, comments, concurrence or objections to my
>>> co-maintaining the packages for bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed?
>>
>> added Eric in CC
>
> BCC?
>

>> I assume the previous answer from Eric is also valid here
>> so I added Brian as co-maintainer
>
> Thanks Marco
>
> I will push each package's updated .cygport to init each package's
> git-cygwin-package repo, on the playground branch, so builds can be
> reviewed, and any feedback or suggestions given, as these packages'
> functioning are fairly core and some are Base packages required in all
> Cygwin installations.

You can always deploy them as test to receive more feedback from user

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ITCM] bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed
@ 2021-08-12 16:13       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-12 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-08-12 00:54, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 12.08.2021 06:33, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> added Eric in CC

>> BCC?

>>> I assume the previous answer from Eric is also valid here
>>> so I added Brian as co-maintainer

>> Thanks Marco

>> I will push each package's updated .cygport to init each package's
>> git-cygwin-package repo, on the playground branch, so builds can be
>> reviewed, and any feedback or suggestions given, as these packages'
>> functioning are fairly core and some are Base packages required in all
>> Cygwin installations.

> You can always deploy them as test to receive more feedback from user

I am currently thinking developer oriented packages bison m4 sed could
be released as updates and pervasive higher impact packages dash grep
gzip readline as test initially.
Opinions please?

* Re: [ITCM] bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed
@ 2021-08-13  3:26         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-13  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-08-12 10:13, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-08-12 00:54, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:

>>> BCC?

>>> Thanks Marco
>
>>> I will push each package's updated .cygport to init each package's
>>> git-cygwin-package repo, on the playground branch, so builds can be
>>> reviewed, and any feedback or suggestions given, as these packages'
>>> functioning are fairly core and some are Base packages required in
>>> all Cygwin installations.

Builds 3157-3163 https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi

3160 gzip scallywag #146 shown as still pending but job status Success
and each arch completed.

>> You can always deploy them as test to receive more feedback from user
>
> I am currently thinking developer oriented packages bison m4 sed could
> be released as updates and pervasive higher impact packages dash grep
> gzip readline as test initially.
> Opinions please?

Looking at releasing updated:
bison m4 sed as current;
dash grep gzip readline as test,
this weekend.
Alternative suggestions welcome.

* Re: [ITCM] patchutils
@ 2021-09-08 18:59   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-09-08 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-08-11 14:21, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 10.08.2021 07:47, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Once again been looking over commonly used outdated packages I use
>> frequently which need upgraded and picked another few of Eric Blake's
>> I would like to request to co-maintain and upgrade as they are a few
>> years old.

>> Attn: Eric Blake - advice, comments, concurrence or objections to my
>> co-maintaining the packages for bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed?

> added Eric in CC

>> I am as usual dogfooding these, including rerunning the builds and
>> checks after local installs on both arches, but would appreciate any
>> advice about whether any or all of these should be test releases (e.g.
>> readline) before upgrading stable releases (given some recent issues I
>> caused) or other comments or suggestions.
>>
>> These builds have all been tested in the git-cygwin-package playground
>> repo; see:
>>
>>      https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=3148..3151,3154-3156
>>
>> commit links show the package and log links show the results.

> I assume the previous answer from Eric is also valid here
> so I added Brian as co-maintainer

I would like to offer to co-maintain patchutils with Eric, as
maintenance restarted and a new release was available last year.

The builds were tested in the git-cygwin-package playground repo; see:

	https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=3265

@ 2021-09-10 19:13     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-09-10 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 08.09.2021 20:59, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-08-11 14:21, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 10.08.2021 07:47, Brian Inglis wrote:

>> I assume the previous answer from Eric is also valid here
>> so I added Brian as co-maintainer
>
> I would like to offer to co-maintain patchutils with Eric, as
> maintenance restarted and a new release was available last year.

done

Thanks
Marco

* Re: [ITCM] patchutils
@ 2021-09-11  1:54       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-09-11  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-09-10 13:13, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 08.09.2021 20:59, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2021-08-11 14:21, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:

>>> I assume the previous answer from Eric is also valid here
>>> so I added Brian as co-maintainer

>> I would like to offer to co-maintain patchutils with Eric, as
>> maintenance restarted and a new release was available last year.

> done

Thanks very much Marco

* Re: patchutils package builds for review
@ 2021-09-11  2:25     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-09-11  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-09-08 12:59, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-08-11 14:21, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 10.08.2021 07:47, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> Once again been looking over commonly used outdated packages I use
>>> frequently which need upgraded and picked another few of Eric Blake's
>>> I would like to request to co-maintain and upgrade as they are a few
>>> years old.
>>> Attn: Eric Blake - advice, comments, concurrence or objections to my
>>> co-maintaining the packages for bison dash grep gzip m4 readline sed?
>> added Eric in CC
>>> I am as usual dogfooding these, including rerunning the builds and
>>> checks after local installs on both arches, but would appreciate any
>>> advice about whether any or all of these should be test releases
>>> (e.g. readline) before upgrading stable releases (given some recent
>>> issues I caused) or other comments or suggestions.
>>>
>>> These builds have all been tested in the git-cygwin-package
>>> playground repo; see:
>>>      https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=3148..3151,3154-3156
>>> commit links show the package and log links show the results.

>> I assume the previous answer from Eric is also valid here
>> so I added Brian as co-maintainer

> I would like to offer to co-maintain patchutils with Eric, as
> maintenance restarted and a new release was available last year.
> The builds were tested in the git-cygwin-package playground repo; see:
 >	https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=3265
> commit links show the package and log links show the results.

The builds were tested in the git-cygwin-package patchutils repo; see:

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=3281&srcpkg=patchutils

cygport and builds are available on Google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PTI-3JilDwdZqf1S1evwHExhBvw9Oq94