public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* notice of package removal
@ 2015-02-15 16:10 Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-02-15 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yaakov,
could you please advise when you are zapping orphaned packages from
the distribution ?

I justed noticed you zapped proftpd when at the same time
I was working to upgrade and build the 64 bit version.

No objection to remove packages; we have a lot in bad state
and some are dead upstream but it will be nice to be synchronized.

Regards
Marco

* Re: notice of package removal
@ 2015-02-16  8:04 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-02-16  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sun, 2015-02-15 at 17:10 +0100, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> I justed noticed you zapped proftpd when at the same time
> I was working to upgrade and build the 64 bit version.
>
> No objection to remove packages; we have a lot in bad state
> and some are dead upstream but it will be nice to be synchronized.

proftpd was orphaned last month[1], and I hadn't seen any indication
that there was interest in adopting it.  While I have been rebuilding
some of the simpler orphaned packages, proftpd didn't appear to qualify
after a quick look.  If you are interested in adopting, the old sources
should still be in the Cygwin Time Machine, although given how old they
were, Fedora's packaging[2] may be more useful.

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2015-01/msg00085.html
[2] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/proftpd.git/tree/

--
Yaakov