public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] ddrescue 1.3
@ 2007-05-17 19:29 Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2007-05-17 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I would like to contribute the GNU ddrescue package:
(http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html)

http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ddrescue/ddrescue-1.3-1.tar.bz2
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ddrescue/ddrescue-1.3-1-src.tar.bz2
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ddrescue/setup.hint

Description from README:

GNU ddrescue is a data recovery tool. It copies data from one file or
block device (hard disc, cdrom, etc) to another, trying hard to rescue
data in case of read errors.

Ddrescue does not truncate the output file if not asked to. So, every
time you run it on the same output file, it tries to fill in the gaps.

The basic operation of ddrescue is fully automatic. That is, you don't
have to wait for an error, stop the program, read the log, run it in
reverse mode, etc.

If you use the logfile feature of ddrescue, the data is rescued very
efficiently (only the needed blocks are read). Also you can interrupt
the rescue at any time and resume it later at the same point.

Automatic merging of backups: If you have two or more damaged copies of
a file, cdrom, etc, and run ddrescue on all of them, one at a time,
with the same output file, you will probably obtain a complete and
error-free file. This is so because the probability of having damaged
areas at the same places on different input files is very low. Using
the logfile, only the needed blocks are read from the second and
successive copies.

The logfile is periodically saved to disc. So in case of a crash you can
resume the rescue with little recopying.

Also, the same logfile can be used for multiple commands that copy
different areas of the file, and for multiple recovery attempts over
different subsets.

Ddrescue aligns its I/O buffer to the sector size so that it can be used
to read from raw devices. For efficiency reasons, also aligns it to the
memory page size if page size is a multiple of sector size. Read the
info file to learn how to use raw devices with ddrescue.

Christian

* Re: [ITP] ddrescue 1.3
@ 2007-05-18 19:03 ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2007-05-18 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> I would like to contribute the GNU ddrescue package:
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html)

During further testing, I found that ddrescue segfaults when reading
from /dev/sdX without specifying the correct raw sector size (-b 2048).

This is not an issue in ddrescue but an issue in Cygwin's lseek which
may also affect 'dd'.

I posted a patch to cygwin-patches.

Christian

* Re: [ITP] ddrescue 1.3
@ 2007-05-29 10:39   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-05-29 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On May 18 21:03, Christian Franke wrote:

> >I would like to contribute the GNU ddrescue package:
> >(http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html)
>
> During further testing, I found that ddrescue segfaults when reading
> from /dev/sdX without specifying the correct raw sector size (-b 2048).
>
> This is not an issue in ddrescue but an issue in Cygwin's lseek which
> may also affect 'dd'.
>
> I posted a patch to cygwin-patches.

Do you want to ITP ddrescue nevertheless?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: [ITP] ddrescue 1.3
@ 2007-05-29 13:47     ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2007-05-29 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On May 18 21:03, Christian Franke wrote:

>> I posted a patch to cygwin-patches.
>>

> Do you want to ITP ddrescue nevertheless?

Yes.

Meantime I realized that at least on Debian the package and
executable are named "gddrescue" to distinguish it from the
older dd_rescue (http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/).

Distro / Package Name:

.          GNU ddrescue    dd_rescue
Debian     gddrescue       ddrescue
gentoo     ddrescue        dd-rescue
FreeBSD    -               dd_rescue

Keep the name ddrescue or better use gddrescue on Cygwin?

Christian

* Re: [ITP] ddrescue 1.3
@ 2007-05-29 13:55       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-05-29 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On May 29 15:47, Christian Franke wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > On May 18 21:03, Christian Franke wrote:

> >> I posted a patch to cygwin-patches.
> >>

> > Do you want to ITP ddrescue nevertheless?
> >

> Yes.
>
> Meantime I realized that at least on Debian the package and
> executable are named "gddrescue" to distinguish it from the
> older dd_rescue (http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/).
>
> Distro / Package Name:
>
> .          GNU ddrescue    dd_rescue
> Debian     gddrescue       ddrescue
> gentoo     ddrescue        dd-rescue
> FreeBSD    -               dd_rescue
>
> Keep the name ddrescue or better use gddrescue on Cygwin?

Nice ambiguity.  GNU ddrescue is called ddrescue on Fedora, so let's
stick to ddrescue.  Do you have a new version of the package or is
the latest ITP still valid?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: [ITP] ddrescue 1.3
@ 2007-05-29 14:07         ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2007-05-29 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Nice ambiguity.  GNU ddrescue is called ddrescue on Fedora, so
> let's stick to ddrescue.

OK.

> Do you have a new version of the package or is
> the latest ITP still valid?

Latest is still valid.

Christian

* Re: [ITP] ddrescue 1.3
@ 2007-05-29 14:21           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-05-29 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On May 29 16:07, Christian Franke wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Do you have a new version of the package or is
> > the latest ITP still valid?
>
> Latest is still valid.

Looks good.  Uploaded.

Thanks,