public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] libargp 20110921-1
@ 2011-09-23  1:28 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-09-23  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I'd like to package and maintain libargp for Cygwin.  argp is a C interface for
processing command line arguments.

The libargp source files are taken from gnulib.  gnulib is a well-known program
available in major Linux distros (e.g. http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnulib),
but I'm not aware of any distros that separately package just argp from it.  So
I'm not sure if libargp needs to be voted on or not for inclusion in Cygwin.

Documentation:     http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/Argp.html
Source home page:  http://www.gnu.org/s/gnulib/MODULES.html
License:           LGPL

<setup.hint>
sdesc: "Interface for parsing command line arguments"
ldesc: "Argp is an interface for parsing unix-style argument vectors. Argp
provides features unavailable in the more commonly used getopt interface,
including automatically producing output in response to the '--help' and
'--version' options.  Argp also provides the ability to merge several
independently defined option parsers into one, mediating conflicts between
them and making the result appear seamless. A library can export an argp option
parser that user programs might employ in conjunction with their own option
parsers, resulting in less work for the user programs. Some programs may use
only argument parsers exported by libraries, thereby achieving consistent and
efficient option-parsing for abstractions implemented by the libraries."
category: Devel Libs
</setup.hint>

wget \
 http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/libargp/setup.hint \
 http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/libargp/libargp-20110921-1.tar.bz2 \
 http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/libargp/libargp-20110921-1-src.tar.bz2

* Re: [ITP] libargp 20110921-1 (ping)
@ 2011-09-27 14:06 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-09-27 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> I'd like to package and maintain libargp for Cygwin.  argp is a C interface for
> processing command line arguments.
>
> The libargp source files are taken from gnulib.  gnulib is a well-known program
> available in major Linux distros (e.g. http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnulib),
> but I'm not aware of any distros that separately package just argp from it.  So
> I'm not sure if libargp needs to be voted on or not for inclusion in Cygwin.
>
> Documentation:     http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/Argp.html
> Source home page:  http://www.gnu.org/s/gnulib/MODULES.html
> License:           LGPL

Package maintainers, please consider voting in favor of libargp for Cygwin.

I don't know of any rule that says I can't vote for my own package, so I'm
voting +1 for libargp.  I want it specifically to use with nosleep [1].  I
could have just baked the argp source files statically into nosleep, but they
would have made up the bulk of the code, which seemed silly.  It seems better
to make libargp available for shared use.

Thanks,
Andrew.

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2011-09/msg00079.html

* Re: [ITP] libargp 20110921-1 (ping)
@ 2011-09-27 14:24   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-09-27 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:06:36AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> I'd like to package and maintain libargp for Cygwin.  argp is a C interface for
>> processing command line arguments.
>>
>> The libargp source files are taken from gnulib.  gnulib is a well-known program
>> available in major Linux distros (e.g. http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnulib),
>> but I'm not aware of any distros that separately package just argp from it.  So
>> I'm not sure if libargp needs to be voted on or not for inclusion in Cygwin.
>>
>> Documentation:     http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/Argp.html
>> Source home page:  http://www.gnu.org/s/gnulib/MODULES.html
>> License:           LGPL
>
>Package maintainers, please consider voting in favor of libargp for Cygwin.
>
>I don't know of any rule that says I can't vote for my own package, so I'm
>voting +1 for libargp.  I want it specifically to use with nosleep [1].  I
>could have just baked the argp source files statically into nosleep, but they
>would have made up the bulk of the code, which seemed silly.  It seems better
>to make libargp available for shared use.

I think the fact that other releases contain an implementation of argp should
be good enough to make its inclusion a foregone conclusion.  I do hope that
someday the package can go away and this functionality can be added to the
Cygwin DLL though.

So, all we need is a GTG on packaging.

The same doesn't apply to the "nosleep" package, of course.

cgf

* Re: [ITP] libargp 20110921-1 (ping)
@ 2011-09-27 14:45     ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-09-27 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> I think the fact that other releases contain an implementation of argp should
> be good enough to make its inclusion a foregone conclusion.  I do hope that
> someday the package can go away and this functionality can be added to the
> Cygwin DLL though.
>
> So, all we need is a GTG on packaging.

OK.  For anyone who's willing to have a look:

wget \
 http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/libargp/setup.hint \
 http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/libargp/libargp-20110921-1.tar.bz2 \

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/libargp/libargp-20110921-1-src.tar.bz2

> The same doesn't apply to the "nosleep" package, of course.

Agreed.

* Re: [ITP] libargp 20110921-1 (ping)
@ 2011-09-27 15:03     ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2011-09-27 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:06:36AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>> I'd like to package and maintain libargp for Cygwin.  argp is a C interface for
>>> processing command line arguments.
>>>
>>> The libargp source files are taken from gnulib.  gnulib is a well-known program
>>> available in major Linux distros (e.g. http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnulib),
>>> but I'm not aware of any distros that separately package just argp from it.  So
>>> I'm not sure if libargp needs to be voted on or not for inclusion in Cygwin.
>>>
>>> Documentation:     http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/Argp.html
>>> Source home page:  http://www.gnu.org/s/gnulib/MODULES.html
>>> License:           LGPL
>>
>>Package maintainers, please consider voting in favor of libargp for Cygwin.
>>
>>I don't know of any rule that says I can't vote for my own package, so I'm
>>voting +1 for libargp.  I want it specifically to use with nosleep [1].  I
>>could have just baked the argp source files statically into nosleep, but they
>>would have made up the bulk of the code, which seemed silly.  It seems better
>>to make libargp available for shared use.
>
> I think the fact that other releases contain an implementation of argp should
> be good enough to make its inclusion a foregone conclusion.  I do hope that
> someday the package can go away and this functionality can be added to the
> Cygwin DLL though.
>
> So, all we need is a GTG on packaging.
>
> The same doesn't apply to the "nosleep" package, of course.

Since argp is a gnulib extension, and gnulib cannot/should not be
packaged as seperate library, only pulled in from source (clisp e.g.
does so) I fail to recognize
why nosleep does not include gnulib at all?
This would it make it bigger, but easier to port to other platforms.

For me personally both ITP's look fine, but I have not cygwin machine
for the next weeks. So I cannot GTG it.
--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/

* Re: [ITP] libargp 20110921-1 (ping)
@ 2011-09-27 15:14       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-09-27 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:02:38AM -0500, Reini Urban wrote:

>>>Package maintainers, please consider voting in favor of libargp for Cygwin.
>>>
>>>I don't know of any rule that says I can't vote for my own package, so I'm
>>>voting +1 for libargp. ?I want it specifically to use with nosleep [1]. ?I
>>>could have just baked the argp source files statically into nosleep, but they
>>>would have made up the bulk of the code, which seemed silly. ?It seems better
>>>to make libargp available for shared use.
>>
>> I think the fact that other releases contain an implementation of argp should
>> be good enough to make its inclusion a foregone conclusion. ?I do hope that
>> someday the package can go away and this functionality can be added to the
>> Cygwin DLL though.
>>
>> So, all we need is a GTG on packaging.
>>
>> The same doesn't apply to the "nosleep" package, of course.
>
>Since argp is a gnulib extension, and gnulib cannot/should not be
>packaged as seperate library, only pulled in from source (clisp e.g.
>does so) I fail to recognize
>why nosleep does not include gnulib at all?

argp is part of glibc but we can't just pull it into Cygwin.  It makes sense
to include a general implementation:

* Re: [ITP] libargp 20110921-1 (ping)
@ 2011-09-27 17:17       ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2011-09-27 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 9/27/2011 7:44 AM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> I think the fact that other releases contain an implementation of argp should
>> be good enough to make its inclusion a foregone conclusion.  I do hope that
>> someday the package can go away and this functionality can be added to the
>> Cygwin DLL though.
>>
>> So, all we need is a GTG on packaging.

GTG from me. Packaging looks good and builds from source.

* Re: [ITP] libargp 20110921-1 (ping)
@ 2011-09-27 18:30         ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-09-27 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On 9/27/2011 7:44 AM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> >> I think the fact that other releases contain an implementation of argp should
> >> be good enough to make its inclusion a foregone conclusion.  I do hope that
> >> someday the package can go away and this functionality can be added to the
> >> Cygwin DLL though.
> >>
> >> So, all we need is a GTG on packaging.
>
> GTG from me. Packaging looks good and builds from source.

Thank you David.

* Re: [ITP] libargp 20110921-1 (ping)
@ 2011-09-27 18:31         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-09-27 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:17:00AM -0700, David Rothenberger wrote:
>On 9/27/2011 7:44 AM, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>> I think the fact that other releases contain an implementation of argp should
>>> be good enough to make its inclusion a foregone conclusion.  I do hope that
>>> someday the package can go away and this functionality can be added to the
>>> Cygwin DLL though.
>>>
>>> So, all we need is a GTG on packaging.
>
>GTG from me. Packaging looks good and builds from source.

I've uploaded this package.

Thanks for the new package submission Andrew.

cgf